Hi, I live in a small town. The society is not open to new ideas. You might even say that the people are very conservative. I have read that vegetarian diet is better for my health than the meals rich in meat. When I mentioned to my friends that I have decided to become a vegetarian they looked at me like I came from another planet. Can you tell me how modern society looks upon vegetarians? Are vegetarians accepted in society?

Hi, vegetarianism is not some kind of new trendy thing. It has been around as a way of life for centuries in the eastern cultures. The western society has accepted vegetarianism in the second half of the twentieth century. Now there are many types of vegetarianism. There are people that lead the strict vegetarian life and they are called vegans. These people avoid using animal products in all aspects of life. On the other hand lacto vegetarians are not that strict and use dairy products in their diet. Vegetarianism is widely accepted as a way of life. There are many restaurants that prepare only vegetarian food. Also shops that sell products used in vegetarian cooking are very common in modern society. As you can see vegetarianism is not rejected by society. If you feel that vegetarianism is the right thing for you, don't hesitate to try it just because your friends do not agree with you.