hey

I want to get pregnant now, i had sex with my husband yesterday to get pregnant, can we have sex again for the same purpose or do we need to wait untill we find out that i am pregnant??

please reply soon i want to do it again before my periodes come, its due this weekend.

thanks

Hi mn,

If your period is due this weekend it isn't likely you're going to get pregnant.  It's too late in your cycle.  The egg is not viable now.  Ideally, you'll have sex 3-5 days before you ovulate.  It varies in each woman, but usually you'll ovulate sometime between days 11-16 of your cycle.  Day 1 is when your period starts.

48 hours after ovulation the egg isn't viable.  Sperm can survive about 5 days however, so having sex before ovulation is fine.

You can have sex as often as you wish.

If you want to take a home test you need to wait at least 2, preferably 3, weeks after having sex OR when you miss your period.

Hope it helps.

but ovulation starts before having periods ... is'nt that so? i heard it that ovulation starts before having periods,

I get that ovulation starts before having periods, but i did have sex before my ovulation starts, you said it could start b/w 11-16 so i am still holding a sperm for 3days, and I hope it will fertlize the egg next 3days,
my question is if it is most likely that i am holding a sperm near ovulation, can I sex again even if i am holding one right now.

Mn,

You can have sex EVERY DAY, ALL DAY,

You ovulate before your period, yes, but...

You ovulate sometime between about days 11 - 16 of your cycle. Your period starts day 28 of your cycle, two weeks later. Anytime after about day 18 of your cycle, and you are past day 18 if you expect your period this weekend, it is likely too late to get pregnant.

Thanks medic-dan that was really helpful

hey medic-dan I had my period this month on sep11, you said earlier that I will ovulate between 11-16 and you said day one of my ovulation is my first day of period, right ... so you mean that I ovulate sometime b/w sep to sep 26 plus you said the egg is viable two days after the ovulation that makes the possibility of getting pregnant until sep28. right??? so please confirm my knowledge and answer that egg is viable for at most 8days...right??? I am copying your explanation just to be sure Copy: If your period is due this weekend it isn't likely you're going to get pregnant. It's too late in your cycle. The egg is not viable now. Ideally, you'll have sex 3-5 days before you ovulate. It varies in each woman, but usually you'll ovulate sometime between days 11-16 of your cycle. Day 1 is when your period starts. 48 hours after ovulation the egg isn't viable. Sperm can survive about 5 days however, so having sex before ovulation is fine. please reply soon.

The "normal" cycle is 28 days long.

Day 1 of your cycle is the day your period starts, it is not when you ovulate.

Ovulation occurs sometime between days 11-16 of your cycle. You will likely ovulate between Sept 22 to Sept 28.

Ovulation varies among women. It is when the egg is released, that's it. The egg is only viable for 48 hour after you ovulate. If it happens on the 11th, by the 13th the egg isn't viable. If it happens on the 16th, by the 18th the egg isn't viable.

You aren't likely to conceive having sex after day 18. Again, the egg isn't viable.

Sperm can remain viable for about 5 days. Having sex 5 days before you ovulate and up until about 48 hours later you can get pregnant.

At best the odds of pregnancy, when everything is perfect, is about 1 in 5.

Hope it helps.

After Sept 30 it is unlikely you will conceive.