I took the morning after pill about 5 days before my next period. (Dec 1.) I got my period as expected. Does that mean it worked? My last period was Nov 1 - Nov 6. I took it within the 72 hr time frame. Actually before 36 hrs.

Hi Guest,

There is nothing to indicate if an emergency contraceptive works or doesn't.  You may have bleeding, you may not.  It depends where in your cycle you are when you take it.

But, if you expected your period 5 days after you had sex, it would be unlikely that you would have gotten pregnant anyway.  By then, about day 23 of your cycle, the egg would not have been viable, able to be fertilized.

In other words, you didn't need the Next Choice.

Normally you will ovulate sometime between days 11 and 16 of your cycle, day 1 is when your period starts.  48 hours after ovulation, around day 18 or so, the egg dies.  After that it is very unlikely (not impossible) that you will get pregnant.

You can still expect side effects, your next few cycles may be early or late AND heavier or lighter than normal.  

Hope it helps.