I am 26 years old woman. Recently I was diagnosed with Candidiasis. Can someone tell me more about this? I am under a treatment now and hope that I will be ok. I would like to know the possible ways of getting Candidiasis. Thanks

Candidiasis is also known as a yeast infection or VVC. It is a common fungal infection that occurs when there is overgrowth of the fungus called Candida. This fungus is always present in the body in small amounts, however, Candida can multiply when an imbalance occurs, such as when the normal acidity of the vagina changes or when hormonal balance changes. When this occurs, symptoms of candidiasis appear and women usually experience genital itching or burning, with or without a vaginal discharge. Most cases of Candida infection are caused by the person’s own Candida organisms and rarely, Candida can be passed from person to person, through sexual intercourse. Candida yeasts usually live in the mouth, gastrointestinal tract and vagina without causing symptoms that develop only when Candida becomes overgrown in these sites. Treatment for vaginal yeast infections are antifungal drugs which are taken orally, applied directly to the affected area or used vaginally.