I am seven weeks pregnant and recently I have noticed some white and stretchy discharge from my vagina. I went to doctor and he diagnosed me with yeast infection. Is it normal for pregnant women to have infections?

Pregnant women have increased chances of getting yeast infection because of the hormonal changes in their bodies. Yeast infections are a common type of vaginal infection, and they are caused by microscopic fungi in the Candida family. It is normally found in the vaginas of nearly one third of women and also in the intestinal tract of both sexes. It only becomes a problem when it grows so fast that it overwhelms other microorganisms in your vagina. Increased estrogen level during pregnancy causes your vagina to produce more glycogen and this makes it even easier for yeast to grow there. The most common signs and symptoms of yeast infection are odorless, white vaginal discharge, itchiness, irritation and the redness of the vagina and labia, burning during urination and pain during intercourse. The infection is treated with antifungal cream or vaginal suppository. You don't have to be worried that the yeast infection will hurt your baby. However, if you have yeast infection during labor, it can be passed on a baby when it passes through the birth canal. This condition is called thrush, it is not serious and it is easily treated.

what is the cause of continous eggwhite. been havin sticky discahrges, eggwhite since after birth.

Well, as far as I was told, women experience a lot of discharge just before they were going to give birth. It is called mucus plug. This mucus plug represents an accumulation of the mucus in the cervical canal that serves as a barrier so that infection could go through.

Just before the birth, this mucus plug gets loose and dilates and women may be experiencing a lot of white discharge on their panties or when wiping. Some women even experience bloody mucus due to the changes that take place on the cervix.

Have you had that kind of discharge just before you would deliver?

How long has it been since you gave birth and since you have been experiencing the discharge? Do you have any additional symptoms like maybe a funny odor, or itching, etc….?

Have you had sex since you gave birth? Maybe you have caught an infection, or you have yeast overgrowth or it could be just normal, regular discharge we all experience through out our regular menstrual cycle. Have you seen your gynecologist?