My child is 2 years old and his tongue has been covered with white patches. He keeps complaining about his throat and he wouldn’t eat. He starts crying when I try to feed him. My sister says this is normal and that her boy also had it when he was born. I talked to a doctor today and he is unable to come until tomorrow and I would really like to know what this is and how bad it is! Thanx

Hi! It is probably Candida-fungus overgrowth. I am sure you heard of it as yeast infect. It is called yeast infection when it occurs in vagina but when fungus over grows in mouth it is called oral thrush. It is common in children, it occurs when the balance in the mouth becomes disrupted just like it does in vagina. The reason your child doesn’t want to eat may be because he has “the white” in esophagus as well and it could be irritating him. The reason your sister’s boy had it when he was born was probably because she had vaginal Candida when she was giving birth.
A doc will probably prescribe some anti-fungal medicines and your son will be just fine.