Now that the law here has been passed that you must not talk on your cell while driving, i seem to notice it more now than before the law was passed. I was backed up in traffic the other day and every where i looked, cell phones were stuck in the drivers ear. I drive a lot and i see it all the time, at least every 3rd or 4th car that passes me has an active cell phone yacker in it. And texting!!!! I have had to "beep" several times at a car that i am stuck behind because as i can see the head in the drivers seat looking up and down, obviously texting. Then i get thrown "the bird" from the driver ahead of me.
I admit that i, on occasion have chatted while driving, but i use the speaker. I do have to hold the phone closer to my face to hear which means both of my hands are not on the steering wheel. I normally don't drive with both hands on the wheel anyway, which i probably should.
What do you think about hands free. How do you deal with that piece stuck in your ear? And how many policeman (women) do you see laughing at chatting on their cells while driving? Is it okay for them and not us? Their in car computers and radio transmitters are used to conduct business, not the cell phones. Would they be at fault if an accident happened while they were on their cell phone?

I think the prohibition of cell phone use during driving will help reduce traffic accidents and is a good thing. I don't think cops should talk on cell phones either. I have never seen a cop talking on his/her cell phone. I don't live in New York, maybe the culture is different over there.

Hi:
I also think that it was good legislation. The only problem is that the people who will still choose to text are now more dangerous, because in addition to texting, they will be looking down in to their laps as they are trying to hide the phone. At least before they were holding the phone up towards their front view. Now they are finding creative and more dangerous ways to do it.

There is too much accident even without cell phones. And i am definitely for headset. Put a bug in your ear and talk, but keep your eyes on the road.
Texting is just madness. If you text you need to look at phone, and to do this you cant look on the road as well. It is like you are driving with your eyes closed. I really don't understand people that are doing this. And never will.

I have noticed that since the cell phone ban was enacted that a lot of people are now texting as they can hide that better than being on the phone. I think that this law has had the unintended consequence of causing more accidents and not less.

I am not entirely sure if there have been any studies done though. Does anyone know?

I haven't thought of that in this way, but giving it a second, you just might be right. It is easier to hid your phone if you are texting and not talking on it. But then definitely you have to lean your head down, and you have no visual on the road. I'll try to find if there is a study on this, and is anybody doing anything to prevent this.
People use their cell phones and that is a fact, and as we are witness law is not stopping them from doing this. I think that someone should find a really easy way to use cells while driving. Something simple that everybody will use.

My husband almost got killed by someone talking on their cell phone, she was so happily chatting on her phone that she ran the stop sign, just as he was turning. Luckily my husband has quick reflexes, but he made sure to get her attention with his Horn. :-S

It is very good that he got out of having an accident. The horn means nothing to them. I know that cell phones are mobile, but while driving. I just can't understand this. It is so dangers.

Went grocery shopping this past saturday like i always do. I was coming out of the market parking lot and ready to make the right turn out on to the highway. I had to wait a minute as there was a car approaching from the east, meaning, i had to wait till it passed as it had no signal to turn into the marking. This little Vue passes in front of me and attempts to make the left into the lot, BAM, the car i was waiting for t boned this little vue and sent it and sent it over the medien that separates the in from the out. The chick was on her phone as i saw her yacking away when she passed in front of me and the on coming car.
I cut across and ran to help her. She was visibly shaken, her car was trashed but she managed to stand on her own. The other guy was unscathed, he was driving a hugh 350 and only got some good front end damage and a bloody mouth.
I called 911 from my phone and really pondered whether or not i should "rat her out" to the police. After thinking about it for a bit, i did tell the cops that i personally saw her on her phone.
I see this all the time, people think they are so much above the law and can do pretty much whatever they want. Her pretty blue eyes and long blonde hair did not distract the cops at all as she was written out 3 tickets.
I don't feel bad, this could have been one of my kids slamming into this chick, they all have small cars and the out come for them could have been a tradgedy.

You did a good thing bbfeet when you told police about the phone. I'm not sure that she will get this lessen and stop using her phone while driving, or she would just be mad for receiving these tickets.
She got out ease, some people die or get paralyzed because of these accidents. Many out there don't realize that there is a thin line between life and death. And it's not just theor lifes that are important but others also.
I would done the same bbfeet.