I live in Rochester NY, well about 20 minutes outside of it. A young girl of 17 has vanished after she went to Myrtle Beach for Spring Break without her parents permission, actually both mom/dad said she could not go. She lives in Chili NY, which is about 15 miles from where i live. This has made Nationwide News and this afternoon it was on Dr. Phil as well as Nancy Grace. Her parents, who are going thru a divorce at this time, were both on Dr. Phil, as well as the guy who saw her last and his Attorney, a prominent Rochester Lawyer, John Parinello. Both prents feel that this kid knows something but either refuses to fess up or pretty much doesn't care. Mom/dad can't understand what this adult man (20) was doing with their daughter in a hotel room with 3 or 4 other adult men and women. She left the hotel room and said she was walking 1 mile to another hotel to return a pair of shorts to another girl who was fighting with her on her cell phone about these shorts. This boy heard the argument and knew that she was about to walk the mile back in "not a nice" neighborhood and never asked to escort her or drive her, (he had a car) that was the last time anyone saw her. He said on National TV today that he was not there to babysit her as they did not go to Myrtle Beach together. This is why her mom is so upset. The boy, his name is Peter, is not her boyfriend but has been an aquaintance if Brittany's (missing girl) for about two years. The father said Brittany has a short temper and is having a hard time with the pending Divorce, but the would never have run away. Her cloths are still in the hotel room along with her makeup and flat iron, which mom says he would never leave them behind. Her cell phone has not been used for the last two weeks, only a "ping" that was picked up last week. This was detected about 50 miles from where she was last seen which prompted authorities to check the area, including the river. Mom said Brittany lived on her cell phone between talking and texting.
The kid, Peter, was smug and sarcastic on the show. He is a 20 year old smart a** with a deep tan, spiked hair, a gold necklace and rings. I don't think he had anything to do with her disapearance, but it was his whole attitude that stunk. He has been cooperating with the police, here in Rochester and Myrtle Beach and has given his DNA with no resistance. He just had a "cockey" air about him and i heard on the radio this morning that a few segments were edited out due to his arrogance and his need to pick an argument with the dad on the show.
I am sure several members and guests here have heard about this missing girl. What are your opinions on this subject?

This is a sad situation. I'm concerned for the girls safety. I hope she's OK. I did not see the show.

Saying that, my question is what were the parents thinking? At 17 she should not have been allowed to go, no matter what. I work in an after school program in my area and I can tell you that many of today's parents don't accept any responsibility for their children. They think a cell phone will protect them from anything.

As to the "cocky" kid, he's 20. I'll be that he doesn't think he was doing anything wrong. He was going to party, that's all. I do agree with him on one point, why should he babysit her? The parents didn't!

At 17 you're a minor. You don't get to decide what you want to do or where you want to go. Parents need to stop being friends with their kids and put their foot down.

What was she doing with the 20 year old "adults?" I don't think I'd call todays 20 year olds adults. Regardless, she was trying to fit in with them. Is that wrong, not if it was supervised. Without the parents though, anything can happen.

I hope she is found soon and returns safely.

Sorry to rant. I'm dealing with DSS on a couple of kids now that are neglected by their parents, 15 and 16 year olds out all night or away from home for 3-4 days at a time. The father of one told the police "I call my son every night." Great, but you aren't taking care of his other needs are you? Unfortunately the boy just got arrested and plead guilty to stealing a car while drunk. I really feel sorry for the teen, he's a good kid.

Hilary Clinton once said it takes a village to raise a child. I don't think it should but with some of todays parents it is easy to understand why it might.

Her parents forbid her to go, but she went anyway. She left on a wednesday and mom/dad never found out until the following saturday. I wouldn't consider a 20 year old an adutlt either, but in the eyes of the law, they are. All of these kids left Myrtle Beach and her. Fishy,yes??

I missed that they didn't give her permission to go.

Where did they think she was for those days? They never verified where she said she was? Ahh yes, the cell phone again.

Sorry. I still find fault with the parents. Cocky kid and all.

It is fishy.

Hoping for her safe return.

I heard about this on CNN! I remember being that age but I definitely don't remember doing anything like that. There's not enough details on the situation for me to make any judgement calls so I don't think I'll weigh in on judging this poor girl, only because she probably thought she was doing something fun without thinking through the consequences. As for me, I just hope everyone's okay and safe and that everything works out for the best.