I'm not sure how many of you have experienced this, but after long hours driving, sometimes my eyelids getting heavy, and I have deep yawn, neck muscles relaxing, the urge to sleep, the head nodding down. But, my hands are still on the wheel. And sometimes I'm afraid I would fell a sleep and make a big accident.

I was reading about this and found something new and interesting. Well they are working on this. A car could keep an eye on you while you drive and nudge you when you starting yawning and warn you to pull over and take a break. This is the aim of a new in-car yawn-detection system. I don't think it is finished but sure will be a good thing to have in a car. :-)

Have you experienced this kind of thing? What do you think of this new system?

that would be so helpful to my husband he drives alot with his job and he has often rang me sayin he nearly fell asleep while drivin to combat this he would open a window and play his music really loud but in some cases he actually pulls over and has a power nap as he calls them for maybe 20 mins he has started to have a can of red bull if he is on a long one. this is unrelated to drivin sleepiness but in work if my boss is discussin something with me that is frankly borin but important i feel myself fightin sleep and hidin yawns seriously i woud be fine one minute as soon as we get into it i am a zombie i also get this feelin when i read aloud to my kids even durin the day it annoys them that i yawn so much but i cant help it. so a portable nudge machine would be even better!!!

Hi Illy,
Yes portable nudge machine. :-) Great idea. Sometimes when I speak to people I fell sleepy too. And I feel rude then.
And it would be useful to your husband, considering that he is driving all the time. It will make him more safe, and not just him other drivers too. I hope they implement this soon.
And regarding 20 minute sleep. I sometimes do this also at home. When I am tiered or sleepy during a day, just fall a sleep for 20-30 minutes and I'm like new after that.

hi i read an article on this in the paper last night great idea for people driving, as for myself i used to joke that i needed a pair of those glasses that have eyes painted on them so i could sleep in meetings!!!!

Last summer while we were on vacation I nodded off driving back to the motel after a day of doing vacation things. I drifted off the road to the right. When I hit the gravel shoulder I awoke immediately. Got oriented and back on the road right away with no damage. My wife asked "what was that"? I said "I fell asleep". She asked if I wanted her to drive. I said, not nowww, I'm wide awake nowwww. Scared the s**t outta me.

After I got out of the army many years ago I was driving back to NH from Kansas. It was early in the morning and I needed gas so I stopped at a gas station that wasn't open yet and fell asleep waiting for them to open. What scared me after I got the gas was I realized I couldn't remember anything that happened for the last 10 miles on the way into that town. I didn't even remember driving into that town or the gas station.

After more than 50 years of driving I don't think there is any substitute for pulling off the road and getting some sleep. I'm sure that nudge machine will save some lives but I believe you get used to nearly everything. They have proved that turning the radio up loud, opening the window, singing loudly or most of the other things people do, have no serious effect.

We had a roller machine at our local drag strip so the guys could start their dragsters to adjust them. This was back in the days when big engine cars had to be push started. My partner was the roller operator so we pitted our car right next to the rollers. I often took a nap between rounds, sitting in my push car right beside the rollers. I got so used to it that he could start a fuel dragster on the rollers and I wouldn't wake up unless the nitro fumes came into the car and grabbed me by the nose. You just can't ignore a good nitro fix. Ahhhhh the teary eyes, the running nose, the burning throat. Ohhhhh, it's as good as sex, maybe better.

You should take a break after every two hours of driving anyway even if you aren't feeling sleepy.

Winding down the window or turning up the radio has very little effect. By not pulling over and getting some coffee and a much needed nap you're not only a danger to yourself but a danger to others.

The nudge machine is an awful idea. It would give people a false sense of security and think its ok to drive whilst sleepy. If your having to be nudged to stay awake, what do you think your reflexes are going to be like?

Hi there, I have to disagree with that a little bit. I think it is a good idea. Often people think that they can continue to drive beside the thing that you feel sleepy. I think the nudge machine can be used to warn the driver that it is time to take a brake.
Njoynlife, you were driving and and fell a sleep, if the nudge machine warned you would you pool over and have at least a half an hour brake?

I was looking at it as an aid to keep you awake whilst behind the wheel. If its just used as a warning then that would be good but eventually i can see people relying on it to stay awake and keep driving. Unfortunately.

Well I'm not completely sure how does it work, or is it just a safety measure to pull over or it will keep you awake, but I think the best option would be to alert you and then you pull of the road and take a small rest. This is just my opinion.
Maybe someone has some other idea? :-)

I think that it's a system that actually does encourage you to pull over if you are tired. I also know as far as I've seen that it displays stuff on the windshield so that you don't crash. I'm not too sure though. Does anyone actually drive one of these crazy supercars?

That's an interesting and meaningful question, Dark Red.
We should all think about that a bit.
I always know when I'm in that condition but usually push it too far.
I knew I was having trouble staying awake and I should have had my wife drive, but I didn't.
I wonder how often others would do the same?

It doesn't happen because I'm tired, It's a side effect of the blood pressure pills they put me on after the bypass surgery.
I discovered that earlier this year when on a ride in my rail car. We were on a ride that was sponsored by an active rail line and we had to abide by the FRA rules. They say NO drugs of any type, prescription included. So I didn't take the pills that weekend and I had no trouble staying awake.

I don't like taking them anyway because the major effect is to leave me out of breath whenever I do some heavier than normal work, like picking up one end of the rail car to move it around and helping others push their cars across roads where the rails have been paved over. It's not like exercise class where you can warm up first.

They put me on them after the operation to keep my heart from speeding up and possibly damaging the arterial splices before they healed. They must be healed by now, it's been 13 years.

I have had many discussions with my doctor about that, because the only time I have high blood pressure is when I'm in his office, but I always end up giving up. He's more stubborn that I am. He, of all people should know about "white coat syndrome" but either he's ignoring me or he doesn't believe me when I tell him it's fine when I take it at home.

Well my opinion is that most of drivers try to push a little further. They understand that they are tired but just a little bit more. And that is when the problem begins. If this could be prevented I think many would be safer on the road.

This would be an excellent idea for over the road truckers. They are hauling tons of materials that have to be at a certain place at an exact time or they loose revenue. Many of the "truckers" push and push to reach their final destination as it will show up in their paycheck.
Several times a year i will see in the paper that some poor suspecting driver was killed by an over tired trucker who refused to pull over to nap, this is greedy and totally unecessary. Granted they are ordered to rest every few hours or so, but i know many of them who don't because they refuse to waste the time. Time is money to them, explain that to a family that may have lost their child to an over anxious driver.

Hai........
yawning is big problem while driving..Sometimes i also faced this problem.According to me when we drive for a long hour,we get boring to do the same work,so we should avoid long driving or whenever we feel that we are being sleepy, we should stop the car and start walking or take some water on the eyes..

Hi andrewhall,
Well that is a good point. But I think many people don't do this. And they even don't pay attention to this until something bad happens.

Do you have any bad experience with this?