Hi everyone,

I don't know what this is, I mean, everybody has some sort of fear, but I have this fear of driving. When I was supposed to take driving classes, it was all good while I was doing just theory. But when it was time to drive, I got inside the car and I just froze, I couldn't even start the car. I don't know what is wrong with me, I have this crazy fear of driving, like I am going to crash somewhere, to kill someone or myself, I don't know. Is there anything I could do about this maybe?

This is nothing strange, it is not common, that's for sure, but it happens, you know.

You can find some useful techniques used to overcome this fear on the internet. I myself never had any trouble when it comes to this matter but I do know that there are some techniques which can help you overcome your driving phobia.

I know that you should create a calm environment in your car and that you should practice abdominal breathing. You could also try with psychotherapy, I think that it might be able to help you with your phobia, at least I think so.

I've tried these techniques, they do not work for me, I've also tried making a calm environment in my car, it didn't work either. I don't think that I am not trying hard enough, maybe I will never be able to drive a car and maybe it's for the best.

My parents bought me a car when I was supposed to start with my driving classes and now they are kind of mad at me because I cannot drive. But I cannot help it, I swear, I've tried and tried and I simply cannot do it, I don't know what is wrong with me.

I don't know how to help you then. Maybe you should take really small steps in order to overcome this. Like, you can sit in your car for an hour today, tomorrow start your car, the day after tomorrow take a ride to the end of the street or even closer. I think that every person has to know the solution to how to overcome their fears if they would just think about it. Something is causing this fear and once you realize what exactly is the cause of it, it should get a lot easier to treat it, you know.

Ha, because of that fear I am not driving for a couple of months... I just don't think that it is OK to drive when you have a fear of it. You can cause some accident. 

But that is my fault because I left my car in the garage, I could use some techniques to overcome this fear.

For example, you should practicing your driving because that helps. Find someone who you trust to be there with you, in your car. It will relax you.

Drive a little bit far away from others. But the best cure is to find someone who relaxes you, someone who fits you totally.

I am sure that this can help you. 

Don't be that scared, you can do it. There are several techniques that can help you. Maybe it won't be easy at the beginning, but I think that you are strong enough to cope with it. Look, find some good music that you love and that relaxes you. Make sure that you always have it in your car so when you feel stressed about it, just let the music in your car. Also, I like this technique about having someone who you trust by your side. I am sure that good person, laughing and normal stories with that person can help you overcome this fear. I know that it can be ugly, but the fact is that everyone needs a car today. Face with this fact. 

Trust me, it is very easy to overcome the fear of driving even if a lot of people can tell you that this is not true and that you should leave your car and forget about driving it.

NO! I don't agree with it.

I have this fear as well without any reason. I just didn't drive my car for a long time and when I needed it, I started to panic and have this fear. I didn't have anyone who would be there for me, so I went to consult an expert. I started with hypnotherapy - that is one of the most effective therapies for overcoming the fear of driving. Thanks to this therapy I faced all my fears and now I am driving normally.

When I discovered that I am having anxiety and depression, everything was rally bad for me in those situations. I was not able to do anything, I was not able to stay focused at all. Driving my car was like a horror for me. I remember when I wanted to drive my car for the first time when I discovered that I am dealing with anxiety. I started to sweat a lot, I started to panic..And I just could not turn on the vehicle. My psychiatrist helped me a lot. Thanks to him I was able to overcome this fear, but not totally. I still have this cramp when I need to drive my car. I think that this cramp will always be with me.

I am scared to drive, so I don't drive at all. I know that I need car because I can't call always someone when I need something but I just can't. A lot of people can't understand it. Even my therapist doesn't understand it.

He really tried to help me to overcome it, he gave me a lot of useful advice but still nothing.

But, here are some of them. Maybe it can be helpful for you.

Turn the music off. Turn the ringtones on your phone. Practice driving. The best time to practice is on Sunday morning because it is not crowded outside.

Good luck!