Hello everyone,

I am not sure what else could be the cause of my dizziness when I am driving my car. I always get this dizzy feeling and it is often followed by panic. I am under a lot of stress recently because I am having trouble at work (it seems like our company is going to be shut down after 8 years of working there), plus one of my kids is sick and he is staying in the hospital. I am under a lot of stress because of all this and a friend of mine told me that stress might be causing this.

Most likely it is. It is quite normal that stress causes dizziness and panic, not just when driving, but at any other moment during your day.

If you are suffering from anxiety and are experiencing panic attacks when driving a car, it would be a wise move to stop driving until you are ready to do it. Being ready means that you have learned how to act when you are having a panic attack, otherwise, you are in danger of crashing your car, therefore risking your life and other people's lives. This is just a friendly advice, please don't be offended.

Not necessarily, but most likely.

Nina is right, if you are really having panic attacks while driving a car, it would really be best for you to stop driving your car until you are ready to do it.

There are techniques which are useful for dealing with panic attacks. If you search around the internet a bit, you are going to find a few of these techniques there. They require some time to learn but once you have learned one of them, you shouldn't really have a problem with dealing with panic attacks anymore, just don't give up and stop half way.

I can't, I need my car, that is why I am asking you this.

For example, I need it to go to work, I need it to go to the store, to visit my friends, to visit my kid in the hospital. I need my car and I can't imagine how would I function if I wasn't allowed to drive.

There has to be another way other than just stopping to drive until I learn how to cope with the panic that I feel sometimes when driving. I don't really think that I might do something bad while driving, like cause a crash or something.

Hey.

That is happening to everyone, not just when they are driving but when they are playing something, eating, going to walk, etc.

But it is much easier when you are in this condition while you are eating or something that can't make a damage to you. When you are driving and having panic attacks or stress, it can be really messed up.

That is the main reason why I stopped driving my car. I don't feel safe in the traffic while I am driving, I don't feel that anyone around me is safe while I am driving.

So, my advice is - leave car in the garage. 

But what about people who needs to drive car everyday because they need to go to their jobs, like me? I have more than half of hour of driving from my home to my work. I don't think that is fair that someone tells me that I should leave my car in the garage. There must be a cure for this. I really need my car because no one can take me to the work. Yes, I am aware that I am a dangerous for me and for others in the traffic, but I can't do a lot about it. I really want this to stop and I am aware that driving sometimes cause me panic attacks, even if I am trying to avoid it or to stop it...

I understand. That was exactly how I felt when I was driving the car. But while I was driving a car, sometimes I had this ugly feeling like I am going to pass away. Freaky, isn't it? Thanks God, I haven't caused any accidents but I left my car in the garage on time.

I understand that you really need a car, but you should think about yourself and people around you. You need to find some solution, or go to talk to your psychiatrist and let him help you, let him find the best cure for you in this situation.  

Hi.

Look, panic attacks on motorways are very common –for a driver or a passenger while you are in the car. There are a couple of reasons why this happens. For example,– it's because you can't escape the certain situation easily and you can't run away from something or someone.

I mean, you are in this car. Again, on a roads you can just turn off or stop but on motorways you have to keep going in any situation. That is the main reason why some people are hard to deal the traffic. I had those situations. For example, I knew it that I need to go for the five day at some business trip and I started to have mean panic attack.