Not so long time ago I have heard for cerebellum for the first time. I always thought it’s everything just “a brain”. Now when I read in one book all different parts of it, I would like to know at least something about those structures. Since cerebellum made me the most curious, I would like to hear something about that part of the brain. What’s cerebellum’s function and role in out life?

Cerebellum is involved in the coordination of the movement. Cerebellum is also partly responsible for motor learning, such as riding bicycle and swimming. Unlike cerebrum which works entirely on a contra lateral basis, cerebellum works ipsilateraly. The cerebellum is also known as “little brain” and it has convolutions similar to those of cerebral cortex. Difference is that folds are much smaller in cerebellum then cerebral cortex. Same as cerebrum, this one has outer cortex, an inner white matter, and deep nuclei below the white matter. If we enlarge a single fold of cerebellum, or folium, we can see organization of its cell types. Cerebellum operates in 3’s which means there are 3 highways leading in and out of the cerebellum. There are 3 main inputs and there are 3 main outputs from 3 deep nuclei. There are 3 pairs of peduncles or highways, the inferior, middle, and superior peduncles.