Few days ago I saw something about schizophrenia on TV. They were talking about gray matter of the brain. I realize that there is white and gray matter in the brain. Since I don’t know a lot about this, I would appreciate any information. Is gray matter somehow connected with schizophrenia?

The white matter of the brain is located in the central and subcortical regions of the cerebral and cerebellar hemispheres. It accounts for about 60 % of the total brain volume. White matter consists of axons with their envelope of myelin along with two types of neuroglia (oligodendrocytes and astrocytes). Axons are extensions of neurons residing within the gray matter of the brain, spinal cord and ganglia. Gray matter of the brain is connected with schizophrenia because individuals with schizophrenia have a reduced volume of gray matter in the brain. This is especially noticeable in the temporal and frontal lobes. Neuroscientists have detected up to 25% loss of gray matter in some areas. Patients with the worst brain tissue loss had the worst symptoms. These symptoms included hallucinations, delusions, bizarre and psychotic thoughts, hearing voices and depression. I hope that my answer was clear enough.