I have heard that macrogyria is some disorder in the brain. I wonder when this disorder is developing, whether in mother uterus or later in life. In addition, I wonder how to recognize patient of macrogyria, what is their problem. You might say I am asking too much but also tell me how to diagnose macrogyria. I would appreciate any info, because I have a friend whose baby is diagnosed with this disease.

Macrogyria is a disorder of neuronal migration characterized by a paucity of secondary sulcation of the cerebral hemispheres. This is resulting in a brain with a simplified convolutional pattern. Risk factors are for babies in mother uterus, when it insult to the developing brain. It is also famous that are some associated anomalies together with macrogyria, as well as some other migration disorders. Toxic insult before 20 weeks gestational age does not affect primary sulcation but interferes with secondary sulcation and prevents tertiary sulcation of macrogyria. Pathologically, affected cortical areas are abnormal with dense gliosis and large neurons, which is why disease has this name. Areas of focal cortical dysplasia may act as foci for focal clonic or myoclonic seizure activity. Patient of macrogyria has neurologic manifestations, infantile hypotonia, mental retardation, and microcephaly. It is also reported seizure disorder, focal clonic or myoclonic, motor dysfunction, and developmental delay. To diagnose macrogyria, it could be used CT or MRI of cerebral cortex.