I was in a car accident on January 5, 2018, today is the 10th.  A car made an unsafe left turn in front of me, I slammed my brakes but still hit other car around 40 mph.  I had seatbelt and airbag impact  injuries to my chest.  To make things worse, the other driver took off, despite a lot of witnesses!  I felt immediate severe pain in the center of my chest in the sternum area, right side of chest and throat area.  I could barely talk to the EMTs , very hoarse and constantly clearing my throat.  I was taken via ambulance to the ER.  They did chest x-rays, an EKG and blood tests. I should mention that  I'm a 68 year old woman with chronic health problems, like asthma, arthritis, high blood pressure and diabetes.. The only abnormality was a high white count which was 22,000.  They diagnosed me with severe chest contusion,  The bruising was on my waist area and my right breast and below my armpit---very dark purple.  They gave me prednisone, benedryl and a breathing treatment for my asthma, and 5mg Oxycodone for the pain. They released me with instructions to see a doctor they next day to repeat the blood count...By the time I went to see doctor the next day, my right breast was very hard and bruised.  Repeat blood count was 17,000. They told me again to apply icepack to the bruising and swelling on my breast and gave me Norco, 5 mg for pain, and told me to return again for another CBC, which I did today.  I try to take deep breaths when I take my breathing treatments, but the pain is excruciating.  My husband helps me sit up, but I get very short of breath at first--feels like a tight band around my chest.  Once I'm up and moving my breathing gets better, but the pain is still bad.  I'm thinking that I should ask for an MRI of my upper torso, since x-rays showed nothing.  I do know that all this will take time to heal, but in the mean time I would like some treatment that will help with the pain!.  Heat helps better than ice, but I still have the swelling in my breast to deal with.

Just an update on my condition. Had a cat scan done and turns out I had a fracture in my sternum, which is why it is so painful.