Dear Sir,

12 days ago I was in a car accident, another car slammed into us on the driver's side, I was the passenger. I was wearing my seat belt (the car had no airbag). After I went to the hospital to get checked out, had x-rays, no fracture, ultrasound, no injury to the organs. After a couple of days I started hurting more and more on my left chest side, can't breathe deep and it hurts when I'm laughing or coughing. I can't sleep on that side and sitting is kind of hard because I can't lean on that side. I'm hurting most in the area around my heart (more or less) and it doesn't get any better, more to the contrary. There is no bruising at all. Could this be a deeper problem and should I go to the doctor again or does it simply just take that long? What else can I do (after all the doctors told me all was fine)?

Hi Santhoshkumar,

You VERY LIKELY had some soft tissue damage during the accident.  It does not usually show up on an x-ray or ultrasound.

Basically, it may be a severe sprain or strain.

The concern is that you can't take a deep breath.  I do suggest you see your doctor and tell them about that.  It may indicate some damage to the pleura, the lining of your lungs, possible as a result of a small bleed.

Get it checked.  Your discomfort alone is enough reason.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply.