Hi, my sister has can’t control herself when she eats sweets, especially chocolate. I often find sweets that have been chewed up and then spit into a paper and wrapped in garbage bin. She is also very committed to sports and her outlook. Is this an eating disorder and is it harmful?

Hi, I do the same, but I also spit out bread, pasta and other high caloric food. Like this I only get a feeling in my mouth, without getting calories. It’s a way to cheat myself, and not feel bad about eating what I shouldn’t. It gives me impression that I’m able to control my weight. Sometimes, I feel bad after eating two cookies, so I start to starve myself all next day. I like to eat sweets at night and can eat large amounts of chocolate; I guess I loose control easily.
Chewing and spitting is considered to be an eating disorder. I wish I could stop chewing and spiting, but everything is better than gaining weight. I try to be very careful about hiding my spit ups, because I’m afraid of my family member’s reaction. The habit is harmful and can cause some digestive disorders, because when the food is chewed specific enzymes are secreted for digestion. If the food doesn’t get in stomach, Hydrochloric acid (HCl) could cause it’ s damage.

I disagree that this is harmful. That digestive enzyme hydrocloric acid shpeal is a bunch of bullcrock. there is no harm in it whatsoever, spitting up the food is better than swallowing it. after you chew and spit up a certain food, it is likely that you wouldn't want that certain food again - ever, remember how much work it is to swallow-spit. it would be best to NOT do this, but i maintain that it is better than full out pigging out AND swallowing.

I just discoverd this method - and it is great. keep in mind that some of the stuff you are chewing DOES get absorbed and digested, so it's not like you're eating -nothing-. also because of this you can't do this while you're fasting.