Hi, I have some questions about chewing and spitting. My wife started doing it 3 months ago, at least that’s when I’ve noticed. What are the consequences of this habit? Is there any effective treatment?

Hi, my wife is on counseling for her eating disorder. She’s an anorexic, who used to practice chewing and spitting, before she decided almost not to eat at all. The problem is in the head, because person feels bad about itself and it’s appearance, especially if she is over-weighted by chewing and spitting she feels like she has control over the calorie intake. These persons have poor self-esteem and believe they’re never good enough. As more as they continue to spit out food, the risk for developing malnutrition and many other dysfunctions arising from that, is higher. I suggest you to see a professional on eating disorders, because it is a serious condition.