Hi there,

A very good friend of mine has this weird and disgusting habit to not swallow his food, he just chews it and then he spits it out. It's awful to observe that and he does it all the time. I tried to tell him to stop but he can't, it is like he is addicted to doing that. I told him that it is not good for his health, that it can have bad effect on his health but he doesn't trust me. Can anyone here tell me if I am right about this, so I actually have a proof to show him that I am right and that he needs to stop doing it?

Hi Guest,

This is a very uncommon and a very dangerous eating disorder. People who do these kind of things aren't really aware of what this does do their body and how hard it is going to get for them to be on a regular diet program later.

When you do this, you are starving your body. And because of some processes which are unknown to me inside your body, you are actually going to gain more fat. If you continue doing this for long period of time, you are eventually going to blackout and you will need an urgent medical assistance.

Hi Guest,

This is a horrible, horrible habit. I often compare this to people who starve themselves (anorexia). 

You see, I work as sort of a helper of a dietitian who is a good friend of mine and we see cases like this often. When you eat like this, the acid in your stomach accumulates and it becomes corrosive towards your stomach. This will cause you a lot of pain, and it can lead to additional symptoms like fever, vomiting, and nausea. It is hard to start eating properly after this habit because as soon as you eat something, you will feel the need to vomit. Nasty habit.

So this is even worse than I thought of it to be. I didn't honestly think that this can do him any kind of physical harm, the only thing that I thought would happen is that he would lose weight. I was actually so annoyed with him doing that and that was the main reason I wanted him to stop.

At least now I can show him your answers so that he would know how dangerous this can be and if he is smart (he is not really smart actually), he will finally stop doing this. At least I hope he will.

Keep in mind Guest that when someone develops a very strong habit towards something, it is very hard for them to stop doing that. Don't rely on the fact that he will stop doing this because he probably won't, even if he does, it is going to take him a lot of time to do so.

I don't know what to tell you except that this is really bad and it has really bad effects on his health, as you already know, so you can try to get him off this thing. If you succeed, you did a very good thing there.

I think that you should really seek for immediate help. This is a very dangerous eating disorder and in some cases it can be fatal. You need to deal with the fact that you are facing with one very huge problem. My friend was doing exactly the same thing because she believed that the is normal and in her case, the only way to maintain her body weight. Well, this is so wrong. When she was really bad she needed to stay in the hospital. When I asked her why she was doing this, she told me that she wanted to feel the taste of some good food without getting calories.

It is a disease! 

You can literally destroy your health. It happened to me when I was a teen girl. I always had some issues with my weight, especially with my weight goals but I wanted to eat candy bars and chocolate. So, I found out that I can eat it, chew it and than just - spit it out. I believe that this lasted for 7 years, maybe more. My parents notice that something is wrong with me and my behavior, but they couldn't even imagine that I am doing things like this. One day they caught me and that was it. They took me to the doctor. I don't need to tell you that I am still recovering from the effects of this eating disorder.

I agree that this is even worse that it can be. I am not sure can it be worse than this current condition. It is not just about your body and generally your health, it is about some kind of the physical harm as well.
If you ask me, losing weight is the minor problem in this case. People who have this kind of eating disorder need to have a help from someone who is an expert because they wont just start to eat normal alone. They need to talk to someone and they need to eat under the supervision. It is hard to be smart in conditions like this, because that is not just a eating disorder. It is also a kind of the depression.

Serious problem you are dealing with, and you need to be aware of it.

But it is a good thing that you are taking your first step and you are talking with us about this issue. It is not just because it can cause some disorder, such as anorexia or bulimia.

When it comes to chewing and spitting food , it’s no longer recognized as a diagnosable eating disorder. It is definitely  considered a disordered eating behavior, because it’s associated with restrictive eating behaviors. People who live with this kind of the disorder can have a huge problem with mental health which can lead to the depression as well.