I have been spitting and chewing mostly all of my food for awhile now, and i noticed a slight weight drop but not too much.. I read somewhere that doing this actually makes you gain weight? If you are spitting and chewing french fries for example, do you get a lot of the calories from the grease? If anyone has tried this method please let me know your results. thanks!

Do you mean chewing the food and then spitting it out?

I chew and spit and I noice that I have gained weight/. I eat healthy small meals and then will chew and spit all the junk food which I do not allow myself to eat.

this nasty habit stick with me 6 months. I'm loosing weight. First - fast, then - 2 months later - a little bit slower (yeaa, I know, my metabolism, blah blah...) but still. And this proces is in progress. You should know that I probably have an eating disorder - I eat 300 kcal/day. Too little. So it isn't strange that i'm smaller and smaller... (5'8''; ca. 105 lbs - I have heavy bones, if you see me, you wouldn't say that I look "like 105 lbs" - and going down, US size 4/6). When I chew/spit I swallow maybe a few calories but the amount is really low. So it's all depends on what you eat/don't eat, what you spit and if you do any exercise.
I eat crumbs, everything else spit and do some exercise or just (?) walk a lot, which means - i'm loosing waight BUT IN VERY BAD WAY!
Take care.
M.

[p.s.: i'm from Poland so i hope, that you forgive me my language mistakes;]

I ALWAYS do this, but with a caveat- I will always make sure that SOME of the food is going in, too, including junk food. If, say, Im C&Sing two pieces of cake, two or three small-ish bites are always swallowed, usually at the end. It makes sure that some of the wasted acids in your stomach/ the glucose dont give you ulcers or make you have insulin issues.

If you eat some and only chew and spit junk food will that help somewhat with weight loss? Just the stuff that is high fat and/or calories...kind of like cutting them out of your diet but still eating healthy meals, most of the time...???

You should know that this is a serious eating disorder. I did this for more than 15 years, and have been in recovery for almost 2 years now. I would chew and spit enormous amounts of food; costing a lot of money each week! Also, I couldn't even lose weight because of the unknown calories that I was absorbing in the mouth, and what would inadvertently get swallowed.

As soon as I stopped (which was very hard), I lost about 15 pounds and more importantly, gained control of my eating. I no longer crave this compulsion and am grateful that I was able to overcome this on my own, when no professional seemed equiped to help me. I hope you don't use this as a means to control your weight, despite the other disturbing encouraging comments from others on this post.

Hello Guest.

How did you stop after 15 yrs!??? thats so great.

Ive been doing it for 17 yrs now and im dying to stop!!!
I promise i will stop everyday, but then the urge to go shopping & buy: chocolate, cakes, biscuits, lolies, bread... etc.
Consumes me on a daily basis. That i inevitably end up chewing & spitting bags of stuff.
The guilt at the end is overwhelming & all the hours spent dieting & in the gym during the week have gone down the drain.

I would most definatley guarantee, that C & S, stops u from losing weight long term, as food 100% gets absorbed in the mouth.

So.. how did you stop this bad bad habit!!!????

PLEASE LET ME KNOW :-)

I unfortunatley have gained a good 10 lbs doing just his practice. I also eat healthy foods but tons of junk especially at night I c and s. I used to be able to lose weight if I didnt eat much else but the combo for over a long preiod of time has casued me to gain. I also may not be spitting as much as I am chewing. no longer working for me and yes you can gain weight . when you think you have spit it out try agian see how much is still left in mouth. a few things no big deal but for those of us that go to town on bags of junk, its better than eating it all but not great for weight loss.

First, I am so excited to find this site!! I too have been chewing and spitting for many years and it seems that it may be catching up with me but I am not sure. I excercise EVERYDAY!! I eat healthy food, albeit once a day, followed by jello. I chew and spit throughout the day but mostly at night. It seems that it is almost automatci...like my hands just start shoveling junk food into my mouth and as fast as I can spit it out, it is giving me more.
For the past year or so, I have noticed that I am continuing to gain weight; most noticeably around the waist, hips, thighs and buttocks. Regardless of the amount of excercise I do, I cannot drop the pounds!! In an attempt to loose the weight, I have tried a lot of diet pills but they are not helping!!
Is this the reason that I am gaining weight? Can it be true that chewing and spitting and therefore activating the saliva glands of the mouth I am actually consuming the sugar that is in my junk food?

For the one lady who said that she has stopped chewing and spitting, how did you do it? Please share your secret! I notice that I am worse when stressed about school, work or life in general. I beg you to share a tip or two...not only is the mere act of C & S embarrassing, costly and disgusting, but the weight gain that may be associated with it is ruining my life. I no longer go out, I cannot fit into clothes I was able to wear just a month ago, and I dred being seen by family or friends. :'(

I thank everyone for their post/insight and welcome any your advice! :-D

It is absolutely false. Somebody have spread a rumor. I have a habit chewing chewing gum. Also always i spit after having long time chewing. This is not effective on increasing weight. I have this habit from about 4 years but i am still fit and fine.

you mean chewing then spitting it out right? and yes your spit causes calories from the food to slide down you throat its less calories than eating it though

I'm in my 40's. Never had a clinical eating disorder, never been overweight. For the last couple years. I've been in an office environment where sweet pastries and candies are often served in a community kitchen. I have a hard time ignoring the temptation, so I eat some, and then spit it out in private. Sure, I should have more will-power and avoid munching that c**p in the first place, but I can't seem to find the self-control. I rarely do this at home, and it only happens when there's junk being served. I don't think mine is a clinical "disorder" but I'll admit it's gross, and shows a lack of discipline. Oddly, I have tremendous discipline in many other aspects of my life. I just happen to LOVE the flavors and textures of deserts.

There are a lot of plump people here in this office who eat and swallow all the garbage. I stay in shape, and work at it, and spitting seems like just one aspect of that "work". I never spit foods that are healthy and nutritious -- only the garbage (sugars, white flours, etc). That c**p simply does not belong in one's stomach. Then again, it really doesn't belong in my mouth, regardless of my desire for taste and texture. I get that.

Another thing. This habit of tasting and spitting started a year or two after I started to make wine as a serious hobby. Winemaking, especially blending trials, requires a tremendous amount of "tasting and spitting" -- perhaps over 100 tastes and spits in one session. In winemaking, or beer making, or in an industrial kitchen (etc.), T&S are considered part of the job. For better or worse, the raw mechanics of T&S are ingrained into my psyche at this point, often making it difficult to distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate times for tasting and spitting!

How did you quit?

i just wanted to say ur comment it very helpfull as i do the same just to try an balance out the insulinn an stomach acids