I somehow developed the habit of spitting out food. I wanted to lose some weight before my holiday trip so I exercised and was on diet, but I also practised chewing and spitting for about three months. It’s not that I was particularly overweight, I just thought this would be a good way to lose several kilos. Six weeks fro my holiday I still chew and spit. Has my spitting out foots turned into eating disorder? If it has, how to stop it?

You’ve developed a nasty habit that is very close to eating disorders. Some experts think of it as of an independent eating disorder while others believe it is just one segment of the existing disorder. Whichever option you choose, you have a serious problem. Spitting out food can endanger your health in several ways. First of all, your body cannot get enough nutritive ingredients and this reflects in the overall state of your organism. The next problem is associated with weight gain - there is a common belief that spitting out food will prevent weight gain, but it is not quite true. If you chew and spit sweets (as most people with this disorder do) you increase the intake of refined sugar and make weight gain more probable, since this sugar can be digested to a certain extent even while in your mouth. Of course, there is always a problem of teeth and gym health, as well as certain saliva glands disorders. But you must be aware that the cause of all this is somewhere in your subconscious dissatisfaction and wishes concerning your look. If you are not happy with the way you look this is not the right way to make things better. You should consult both physician and therapist. The first will deal with your physical disorders and the damages you might have caused by chewing and spitting food while the second will focus on changing your way of understanding your body and dealing with other problems that might have caused this disorder.

I don't agree that spitting out food is automatically an eating disorder. You only have an eating disorder if you can't control your behaviour, or if your behaviour is affecting your health. Occaisionally spitting out sweets, while something that shouldn't be done in public, is better than eating them.

It may be a sign in a younger person, that they are having body image issues. In a normal adult or someone that is trying to reduce the amount of sweets they eat it can be just fine. I used to eat candy all the time. It was killing me, but I still crave it. The doctor said "don't eat it" and I am trying to change my habits, but I still need a taste every once in a while.

So just don't do it in public, rinse you mouth out afterwards to prevent caries and you will be fine. If you find that you can't help yourself then seek a doctors advice

chewing and then spitting out food is a sign of an eating disorder, if not one in and of itself. yes, it is possible to simply once in a great while do this, but if you're like someone with a c/s problem, its far more frequently. for me, it's gotten to the point where i will chew and spit whole gallons of icecream, cakes, large footlong sandwiches, cookies, brownies, pizza, chips, and so on. sometimes all of the above in one day. and because sweets begin the breakdown process almsot immediately, a lot of the calories are still being absorbed. it's a nast problem, and if you don't seek help for it, it can deveolpe into an uncontrolable full-out disorder (as I am currently experiencing), which is detrimental to your health (as a lot of the problems associated with bulemia pertain to c/s as well, not to mention restricting, if you are c/s-ing because you're restricting).

I am a a freelance writer and would like to write about this "new eating disorder". Is there anyone willing to be interviewed? Confidentiality would be highly respected.
Thank you.

**edited by moderator**emails not allowed**

Regarding the "freelance writer", if you're really interested, i have struggled w/this behavior for (15+) years, and until recently thought i was pretty much alone in it---my email is _[removed]_, feel free to email me

:-( I used to be a happy healthy skinny, care free girl. The world was my oyster. This condition has ruined my life. I'm constantly worried about food but will gorge on "chewing and spitting" because "its calorie free". WELL ITS NOT. I need help. I'm 22 and a very intelligent upbeat person..but for some reason this is taking over me and making me nervous. If theres someone like me out there, or a doctor. PLEASE HELP.
I'll give you my email.

Be well. Take Care. Love.

I also was happy, slender and care free. I started c/s a couple of years ago and has ruined everything! I can't seem to stop! Any suggestions?

im so scared,im trying to stop. i lost weight to start of with, just by eating healthy then one day i saw someone spit out a sweet and i thought ha thats clever, i did it once and its spiraled. I just read all your posts and now im so scared about my health. Ive been doing this for about 1and a half years, its seems im doing it more and more, may times a day ill go to the toilet and take some food and just chew it and then spit it out. The things i do eat would be enough, just about, to keep me healthy but i cant stop wanting to eat more and then not wanting to get fat.
AR im scared, someone help me.
Im going to stop. Its so hard not letting putting on weight beat beating this disorder....
good luck guys
Any info about the health problems will be great : (

I nearly lost my life to anorexia by becoming addicted so to speak to chewing and spitting. Im about 5,2 and dropped my weight down to 56lb (25-26kgs) Im no longer anorexic but last year i had over 15 teeth worked on and continually need work, i may need false teeth so day. Trust people when they say THIS CAN RUIN YOUR LIFE, IT IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.

I'm a 21 year old multi-eating disordered girl (anorexic at 5'9 and 87 pounds, purging what little gets accidentally swallowed, chewing and spitting for as long as I can physically stand in front of my sink and garbage disposal.)

I come from a beautiful, rich in money and love Italian family. I love food, was a fat kid, lost weight healthfully at 14 and then kept going.

I cook huge quantities of food every night, often through morning, chewing up (or in soups case, "swishing and savoring without swallowing")and spitting out/rinsing out thoroughly between bites, taking catnaps after each mini-purge I induce to be doubly cautious nothing got down-- gourmet FEASTS that grown men couldn't consume in a single setting. Between each food cooked, I'm chewing-spitting-rinsing "messy nosh foods"-- trusty microwave meals, tortillas and mozzarella, ordered pizzas, mashed potatoes... I love food, and I'm completely and totally emaciated. I dare anybody to tell me that isn't an eating disorder, however "NOS" ("Not Otherwise Specified", as most of Recovery Centres I was condemned to throughout my later teenage years labeled me.

Here're a few fun tidbits of MY ED world:

-I spend an average between 20 and 30 dollars on food things every night, regardless of pantry overflow. It used to be closer to 100 on Daddy's credit card (he's a lawyer, he can afford it, but decided to not fund his child's self destruction any longer).

-I've overdrawn my bank accounts and now rely on cash-out paychecks alone.

-I have NO LIFE outside of food. I really don't have time to be concerned (.. what a pathetic excuse.. Ha.)

-I WILL NOT live in a condo or apartment unless the kitchen is perfectly setup with a view of the living room, sink and its reliable disposal facing TOWARDS, not away, TOWARDS the TV so that I might go about my "behaviors" while staring at something of general brain stimulation (be it food network, history, news, TCM or PBS.. Othertimes more mindless babble in the form of Nick@Nite. Very important.) I put the rest of the house completely second to my consideration.

-I don't own a kitchen table. It's not like I'm going to sit DOWN and put something in my mouth-- wouldn't be burning fat that way.

-I went through four dogs til I found one would eat scraps and bones so I could feel justied in my actions somehow. Don't try to make sense of it.

-I had no childhood after 14. Oops.

-My bladder is screwed from a previously failing liver and kidney system and I take that geriatric medication so as not to wet the bed every night like a 90-year-old.

-I've lost 13 teeth and am slowly getting 100,000 dollars worth of implants installed as they rebuild my entire mouth. Meantime, I have partial faux temporary "flippers" (essentially, what would be starter dentures for those of us without a father with the means to fund non-insurance-covered ceramic implant procedures.)

Oh, and there's much more; I really should write a book (I did, 'midst all of this, manage to attend UCLA and major in theatre, minoring in journalism and creative writing. God knows how I managed that. Oh, that's right, I was forced to leave standard high school after 9th grade and so managed to start college at 16. I think I did it in between rehabs,,, We anorexics tend to actually be incredibly intelligent human beings with surprising IQ's for performing such unseemly deeds.

All this food talk and I'm off to the kitchen.. I may have to post again. This was very refreshing to actually finally get at least this much of myself down on paper (per se.)

Be careful out there, kids. There's no such thing as "being anorexic for a week".

-Alex Damiano.

I have been spitting out food for 32 years. The past year it seems to have gotten worse (as my life stress has increased and I need it as a coping mechanism). It started years ago while I was watching a day time talk show on weight management and the physician was answering a question and said and I quote, "lady, you can eat anything you want, just don't swallow it." Well, there you go......

I have used in the past for weight management but the more I do it and the more sweets I consume doing it, it is actually creating a weight problem. Sugar in the saliva is till sugar you are feeling to your body.

I was in counseling for an eating disorder many years ago and when I told the counselor about the behavior, at that time in the early 80's, she said, "well it is not bulimia but since it is something you do in private and wouldn't do in public, I'm not sure it is healthy."

Thanks.....

Hello
I am very relieved to know that there are so many others that have the same problem of trying to stop from doing this. I have been a thick child my whole life and about 6 years ago, I began to get heavily into fitness. I even participated in fitness competitions. In doing so my ex boyfriend introduced me into binging, afterwards I would sometimes have to gorge because my stomach hurt so bad. I eventuallyh stopped doing fitness competitions and began to eat normal again, that is until I would feel bad about eating sweets and other fattening foods. I would go to people's get togethers and they would give me food that I did not normally have at home, and this is when I began to chew and spit the foods out. I have even purchased and been given foods, some expensive endearing foods, and spent time after time chewing the fattening, non-healthy carb filled foods in my mouth and spitting them out. I have been caught at home by my brothers and I told my best friend, who was helping me, but has since moved away, and for a while I was able to stop, but soon I found myself doing it again. I notice that I sometimes still gain the weight and my stomach sticks out, but I still can not stop. I am completely addicted to doing this. I have so many people that think that I am completely healthy in how I eat, but they have no idea. I am so lost. I do it almost every day and sometimes more than once a day. Its an expensive wasteful habit, but I can not stop.
Please help.
hopeless

I've started c/s quite recently. I started a diet and i have been able to cut down on food but i still get EXTREMELY hungry (actually its not even hunger its just wanting to eat really badly) so i started this habit and on days when i'm alone i can go through quite a big amount of food without swallowing. I still eat a balanced diet next to that though. But because i get so hungry i feel like there is no way that i can stop. I'm really embarrassed and I would really like some help, i want to stop i don't want this to become a habit or spiral out of control and become a eating disorder. I'm really scared and don't really know what to do (or talk about it to anyone that i know), but if anyone knows a way to help i would really appreciate it...

thank you

I have never read a positive statement about spitting out chewed foods. I have been doing this for years with no ill effects. I eat a very healthy, balanced diet but have an incurable sweet tooth. I ONLY spit out sweets and ONLY do so after eating a meal, thus negating any of the ill effects of just chewing and not swallowing. It has been a delicious, delightful way to stay a healthy weight while indulging my taste for chocolate, donuts, and pastries. I have friends who think this is gross, but they are fat..... so what's grosser? I only do it alone as it is very socially frowned up. I've been doing this for about 15 years now and am not suffering from an eating disorder... I just engage in socially frowned upon eating behaviors. No different from people who floss at a restaurant. I've gotta go now. I have a delicious pastry waiting for :-D