I’ve been chewing and spitting food since my early twenties. Now I’m 34 and my boyfriend discovered my habit. He said that chewing and spitting was an eating disorder, just like bulimia or overeating. I’m not so sure about this - there is nothing wrong with me after all these years of chewing and spitting and I think it’s good for my look since I don’t get excessive amount of calories. I eat normally and do this only with sweets or snacks because I think this is the perfect way to taste the flavour and to avoid calories, cholesterol and many other problems. Is chewing and spitting really dangerous?

Chewing and spitting food is very close to eating disorders and in no way does it present an acceptable behaviour. As a part of either bulimia or anorexia (there are experts who do not see chewing and spitting as a separate disorder) this habit can be very harmful since the food is spit out and the nutritional ingredients are not absorbed. This can lead to serious weight loss and other disorders typically associated with anorexia nervosa. This will not happen to you since, as you say, you practise this on sweets and junk food only. Still, it is a very bad way to regulate the intake of fats, sugar and other problematic substances that endanger your health. And you should know that this type of “digestion” can contribute to the intake of calories because the glucose (some types, for example honey) can be digested by tongue. The false eating process also initiates the release of insulin which can ultimately lead to diabetes. Your behaviour also indicates some unresolved mental issues since you show no desire to stop and think that this pattern is a desirable one. I urge you to visit a specialist who will direct you further. You may not feel the consequences of this behaviour now, but they will appear, sooner or later, be sure.

Hi im 25 and chew and spit as well-before i looked up on the net about it i had no idea that it actually had a name and other people 'suffer' from it as well-ive been doing it since i was 21 i think- i do it when im stressed out and when im really hungry but dont want to absorb calories in food-i exercise alot- i once was an exercise buluimic-i used to be really bad-i still exercise but not as severe as i used to-this was about 3 or four years ago
I used to be really bad i was hardly eating anything-and anything i didnt allow myself to eat i would just chew and spit-i stopped doing it for a few years but got depressed cos i gained weight-now going to the gym again i have lost some weight and gone back to chewing and spitting-it is hard to stop but im not sure i want to stop-i never saw it as a problem until i looked on here-i didnt even think it was an eating disorder-i still get scared while im doing it that the tiny amounts that slip down my throat will make me gain weight- i know that sounds ridiculous! but it is a real fear for me

anyone who would like to email me and just talk about it with me(cos i have never encountered anyone with the same eating problem)

**edited by moderator**

Hi I'm 21 and I also chew and spit out my food, however my situation is a little different. Sometimes I am very restrict on what I eat and will make meals, chew it and then spit it out. I do not lose weight by this though. Other times I chew and spit out every food in sight and I end up extremely full. I believe I have a binge eating or a compulsive eating disorder. All I ever think about is what I'm going to eat (worst thing I can come across) accompanied with the thought I should not eat anything because I know what the result will lead to. Because of this a couple of years ago I thought eating the food and spitting it out would help my cravings and I could control my binge eating. But that's where the problem comes because I chew and spit so much food that is results in over eating anyway. I find the behavior very abnormal and try to hide it. I like to eat alone so if I want to spit it out, then it's possible and I will not have to feel guilty swallowing the food is people are around. (This is going to sound gross) But sometimes I hide the food I spit out in a cup and put a paper towel in it so you can't tell. Later when I know no one is around I flush the food down the toliet or in the garbage disposal. I also put it in the trash but I find I do it so often I do not want my apartment to start smelling like rotten food. But lately spitting and chewing out my food is only making me crave more to eat excessive amounts of food.

I'm seventeen and a senior in high school. I'm a dancer, involved in school, and do well in school. My freshman year of high school, I was sick and lost a significant amount of weight. I loved the idea of losing weight, and I wanted to lose more. I stopped eating breakfast and lunch to cut back on my calories, and I would eat dinner as soon as I came home from school around 3. I never considered myself anorexic, I just always wanted to follow a 'diet.' My school friends were worried and my best friend (boyfriend at the time) broke up with me, because I would not eat. Food became an obsession for me & I could never allow myself to eat normally. Food and weight were always in the back of my head. I can't escape the feelings. My sophmore and junior years I allowed myself to eat healthy, yet the irregularity of my eating from the previous year messed up my metabolism terribly. Now, as a senior, I struggle with weight. I go days where I eat whatever I want, there are days when I don't eat enough, there are days when I spit 4-5 times a day. Food is a constant struggle for me. It's not healthy. I want to enter college free from this burden, and I want to be happy with my decisions and my body.