Even if you floss and brush after each "binge" or "chew-spit" session, that does not lessen the damage to your teeth and gums. Your teeth, especially the back molars, can wear down a lot. I have to now wear a thing called a "Night Guard" in my mouth, but that thing costed around $400 or $500. Thank God, my insurance covered a lot of it, but I still had to pay $200 out of my pocket. Also, I had severe periodontitis at one point, where there are big gaps between your gum and teeth, even though I still flossed/brushed regularly. I also got one cavity. Thank God, it was only one. I've heard of other people having much, much worse situations. My dentist prescribed me to get the Night Guard (have to get it custom made) because it's mainly for people who grind their teeth during their sleep, but I don't think he realized it's because of all those years of chewing-spitting...

This disorder certainly pulls a LOT more out of your wallet, and steals your precious time, especially during the youthful years. Additionally, the muscles around my face now seem permanently swollen, giving me "chipmunk cheeks" that enhance my under-eye circles and make me look much older than I actually am.

Also, every time your body perceives you taking in food (including chewing-spitting, bingeing, eating in general), your body produces insulin, which seems to contribute to faster aging. I am a biology major and this is pretty much common knowledge to scientists (especially in the Aging field) and more well-informed public. There were experiments done to show this.

One way I dealt with getting rid of this disorder for half a year (after 3-4 years of having it) was to procrastinate on chewing-spitting, rather than determine myself not to do it anymore. I just kept finding other things to do, absorbed myself in work, or meeting up with friends, etc, and set myself a strict night time curfew to brush my teeth and go to sleep. The time flew by using this technique. Also, I absorbed myself in prayer to God as well. I have gotten worse about keeping regular prayers though, and noticed that maybe somehow that contributed to my turn toward lack of self-discipline, etc, and resulted in relapse perhaps.

The chew-spit is often used a mental "escape", too. So, when you are alone and need to escape, take out a good book, watch an interesting movie, play a game (chess, cards, video game), volunteer at an organization you're passionate about ("soup kitchens" for homeless/needy, animal shelters, etc) -- get absorbed in something else other than chewing/spitting. The chew-spit seems to often start out as an "easy" way for an individual to fill a psychological hole in their relationships/friendships/life. However, this black hole pulls you in, and steals you away from life, basically. Start to care more for your parents, or for needy animals, or for the poor...

It's about manipulating your focus and what you "anticipate" throughout the day. Try and train your brain to "anticipate" and think about/look forward to something else other than chewing/spitting. As soon as you catch your mind drifting to thinking about it, think instead about what you want to do over the weekend, maybe go to a cultural event, museum, have a dinner game night with your family/friends and planning for that, etc...

It's about learning to quickly shift your focus to "obsess" over something healthy, and/or remind yourself of the negative effects. It's a mental training exercise you must do, to "undo" your previous "training" yourself to chew and spit. If you trained yourself to do it, you can un-train yourself -- it IS possible. You can be back in charge of your body! As my former yoga instructor once said, "In a struggle between the mind and body, the mind will always win." And it's true. Your MIND is telling your body to chew and spit. Re-train your MIND from within, and you can control what your body does. If you want to know more of what I talk about, read about the Tibetan monks who go through procedures to re-train their mind to be resilient to physical pain, and/or read about how Muslim sufi spiritual seekers would train their "nafs." Seriously, Google-search the term or Wikipedia it for more info.

Don't starve yourself because it only seems to lead to obsess over eating. Keep yourself relatively full with fiber-rich foods and low sugars, but don't completely avoid carbohydrates, because your body needs them, and you will NOT become fat by eating a low to moderate amount of "good" carbs. Google "good" carbs to know more what I'm talking about. Wishing you good health and happiness in the future.