Thoughts? I started taking Emergen-C because I heard it is a natural energy booster. It has 1000mg of Vitamin C, B vitamins, minerals and electrolytes--so far it's worked for me :-) I feel great, not drained like I usually do...and let me tell you I was really dragging at work a few months ago. So, I started taking Emergen-C cause I figure some extra vitamins can't hurt plus it tastes delicious (they have a black cherry flavor, soooo good!) :-)

You name it, vitamin c's good for it! :-)

In addition to vitamin c benefits, it nourishes healthy teeth and gums like calcium does. The role of vitamin C is to maintain and repair connective tissue because of its antioxidant properties.

***edited by moderator***web addresses not allowed

hi there! yes Vitamin C, is indeed a great supplement, to add to your daily diet. According to the United States Government's National Academy of Sciences recommends (75-90 mg) per day, while other sources would have megadoses of Vitamin C. from 3,000 to 6,000 mg per day. At this doses, you should be much careful with your kidneys, since this is where the Vitamin C is mainly excreted. You should increase your hydration to suffice this high dosage. A lot of studies contradicts really on the exact daily dosage of Vitamin C.

But still, Vitamin C is great in maintaining our skin, teeth, among others. It also helps in boosting our immune system, and is also helpful in synthesizing other nutrients, and other helpful substances(like glutathione) in our body. I sually take 500 mg per day. but i would go as much as 2000 per day if i am having my bouts of allergic rhinitis, or if i am having this feeling that i am catching a cold.

By the way, there are new preparations of Vitamin C now which is not acidic in nature.
The most commonly advertised, prescribed, and maybe bought, is the Ascorbic Acid preparation, but newer preparations are available now which is basic in nature like, Sodium ascorbate, and Calcium Ascorbate.

Drink lots of fluids. Hope this helped...

Vitamin C is one of the safest and most effective nutrients.Vitamin C helps to maintain healthy collagen in the skin,repair damaged tissue,promote healthy teeth and bones and boost the immune system.Vitamin C assists the body in the production of collagen,a basic component of connective tissues.

vitamim C is a water-soluble vitamin, otherwise known as ascorbic acid. Vitamin C is responsible for many functions in your body.
Vitamin C is an antioxidant and can protect your body from free radicals, which may cause heart disease and cancer.
Vitamin C is responsible for producing collagen. Collagen is present in your muscles and bones. It is responsible for holding the cells together.
Vitamin C helps your immune system. It helps you heal from scrapes and bruises.
Vitamin C also keeps your gums healthy. People with lack of Vitamin C often develop black, swollen gums otherwise known as scurvy.
*People who do not consume enough Vitamin C often develop the following symptoms:
Swollen Gums
Wounds that don't heal
Easy bruising
Bleeding Gums
If you consume too much Vitamin C, it may not be harmful. Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin therefore excess amount is excreted in your urine. But it can develop symptoms such as kidney stones and diarrhea because it is an acid.
The average (nonsmoking) person should consume 60 mg of Vitamin C per day. This can be found in 3/4 cup of orange juice. People who smoke need more Vitamin C than others. Their requirement is 100 mg a day.
You can obtain Vitamin C from citrus fruits such as oranges, tangerines, and grapefruits. You can also obtain a significant amount from tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, and even potatoes.
Vitamin C is good for protecting your body. For vegetarians it is even healthier. When combined with iron, iron becomes more absorbable allowing an increased iron intake.

Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin, otherwise known as ascorbic acid. Vitamin C is responsible for many functions in your body.

What does Vitamin C do?

Vitamin C is responsible for producing collagen. Collagen
is present in your muscles and bones. It is responsible for holding the cells together.

People who do not consume enough Vitamin C often develop the following symptoms:

Swollen Gums

Wounds that don't heal

Easy bruising

Bleeding Gums

Agree with you mate, this what I learn on reading some faq about health stuff at , Vitamin C can decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease and Ischaemic heart disease, and an increase life expectancy.

If you're lacking of Vitamin C it leads you to Scurvy an avitaminosis, the formation of liver spots on the skin, spongy gums, and bleeding from all mucous membranes.

And 1000mg of vitamin c is still tolerable for adult’s body.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Vitamin C is one of the safest and most effective nutrients, experts say. It may not be the cure for the common cold (though it's thought to help prevent more serious complications). But the benefits of vitamin C may include protection against immune system deficiencies, cardiovascular disease, prenatal health problems, eye disease, and even skin wrinkling.

That is so beneficial as daily nutrients needed by human body.one more point which I want to add regarding to that is 'Vitamin C is an antioxidant and protect the body from free radicals that can cause heart disease and cancer.'

Emergen-C contains up to 40% aspartic acid, Aspartic acid is an excitotoxin, which stimulates the neurons until they die. i was on a site yesterday were many people report bat reactions to Emergen-C. Read the ingredients lists and know what they are.

I have several hundred hours researching vitamins. mineral, supplements and health topics in general. I have included supplements in my diet for over 45 years. At first, just the basics. Multi-vitamins,Stress B, and multi-minerals, mostly because I played stressful sports. The most important supplement early on was good old fashion cod liver Oil. I think its kept me from arthritic and other ailments. Have lost, little or no job time because of illness. In 1962 I married, my wife went to her first doctor visit and was told she was not anemic, for first time in her life. she had been taking my supplements, My first real feedback that supplements really work. Less than a year later we had a beautiful baby girl. My wife was in labor less than 45 minutes. My daughter turned out to be a delight, beautiful and an incredible athlete. She also took my supplements. I am 78 and don't have a doctor or pain. Just came in from 5 hours of falling and bucking some big fat gnarly oregon juniper trees. Do I have to say that I think supplements are important. Recently, I learned about what conventional medical doctors would call massive ingestion of vitamins C. Go online and do your own research, a good place to start is with Dr F R Klenner. He died in 1984. It will make a very important difference in your life. As for supplements, look for natural and stay away from additives and some buffered, read and understand the ingredients. When doing medical research, wear your best BS filters. When you see a conventional doctor, its best not say you are taking supplements, some doctors will show you the door.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

Major overdoses of vitamin c reduce the bodies level of copper, an essential nutrient. If a person already has an iron abundance disorder, even small doses of Vitamin C can cause severe health risks as Vitamin C increases iron absorption into the system. In Pregnant women it can actually cause infants to develop rebound scurvy when born. Elder people also need to be very cautious with the amount of Vitamin C they take, as they are more prone to develop a toxicity level in the kidneys, resulting in very serious medical issues. The same results of interference with functioning of certain medications are true with patients who have diabetes or high blood pressure.

Jack124 You have mimicked every lie ever said about Ascorbic acid (vitamin C). Do you have the guts to back up your statement with Proven research. I can prove the case of vitamins a thousand times over. Are you calling liars, Dr. Linus Pauling Phd, two time Nobel prize winner, Erwin Stone writer of 'The Healing Factor, Vitamin C Against Disease, Dr. Albert Szent-Gyorgyi, Dr. Fred R. Klenner, who cured 60 0f 60 polio Patients with injections of 6,000 mg to 20,000 mg in 24 hrs and cured the patient,s of polio with in 72 hrs, brought to term Mothers of 300 perfect babies (one set of quadruplets) With 4 to 15 grams of vitamin c every day for every day of their pregnancy. Would you like to peddle your drivel to those 300 children. Dr kenner also cured snake and insect poisoning, virus of all kinds, drug over dose, and many other diseases with massive dose of Ascorbic acid, six to well over a hundred grams a day, by injection, iv and oral. Would the FDA, or CDC, or AMA or any one else go into a court room with you. Not in your life time they won't. Nor will the Pharmaceutical industry, if thats who you work for.