Sometimes I will get a stiffness in my knees, but most of the time it's nothing I even notice. A friend of mine recently told me he had floating kneecaps, and that's when I realized my kneecaps shift inward (Left goes right, Right goes left) when I straighten out my legs. I do some martial arts, but only occasional for movies (Choreography) and never have any problems.

Recently I have also noticed white lines appearing on the sides of my knees, not risen but discoloration, where the tissue seems slightly softer. The lines start right outside of the kneecap and fom and arc but are only a few inches long. This goes for both knees.

Is this very serious? Will I tear something one day? I heard surgery is usually the best option...

i have floating knee caps an just to let you know knee braces and special shoes will fix it. the point of special shoes and knee braces is to make the mussel around your knee caps stronger.(sorry not good speller) You should see a doctor.