Hello! I have a friend who had knee problems ever since he was young. He always had problem running and complained of the pain in his knee. We never took it seriously, being children and all. The problem was not resolved until recently when he was diagnosed with the double patella. He says now he can solve the problem with his doctor since they finally know what causes it. I know that patella is some part of the knee, but I would really like to know more about double patella. What is it? How is it treated?

Hi! First of all I’ll try to explain what patella is so that you can better understand your friend’s condition. Patella is actually a flat triangular bone located at the front of the knee joint and it is also called kneecap, as you probably heard this term before you should now know what it is. Duplication of the patella is a very rare anomaly. Maybe only 50 cases in the world. I am therefore very surprised that your friend has it. Maybe they only suspect that is the problem and need to do some more tests. They usually resolve the problem of double patella surgically, they remove the extra bone structure and after the recovery period the patient has a complete range of movement and is capable of normal activity, including sports.

Hi! I have read something concerning double patella syndrome and I think that it is not the same as the duplication of the patella. I might be wrong though. Anyway, as I understood it is the consequence of the knee injury and not an inborn anomaly. Basically, and in my words, it is a case of one knee bone moving and overlapping with patella which gives an impression of having two patellae. It is also surgically resolved. I am not sure though if I understood everything well since I am no doctor. Maybe someone else knows better?

sorry for the extremely late reply.. like 2 years late.. But i would like to say..

I have the double patella.. i have had problems with pain with my knee since i was young and never got it checked till last year and found out i had the double patella. I talked to my doctor about my options.. basicially i was offered to leave it or surgicially remove it.. i am having a surgery on my knee in november later this year having the extra bone removed. I have been told there is a chance i could get pain from the mark the surgery may leave.. but im sure i wont knock it as much cause their wont be an extra bone sticking out of my knee. Did your friend get any treatment?

It's not that rare. Both my mom and I have double knee caps. It's just a genetic anomoly. My kids might have it one day too. It doesn't cause any problems or pain.

I like cowz! Especially MOO COWZ!!!!!!

I have a double kneecap... The orthopedic doctor who seen me called in all the other doctors and surgeons to look at it..I very rarely have any pain but occasionally do when I run.

Hi. I was born with double knee caps and according to my mum they dissolved into my body when I was around 6.
I am 38 now and in constant pain with them.
I can’t say 100% that’s the first paragraph is true but this is what my mum has told me

I was born with double knee caps but according to my mum,they dissolved into my body when I was 6. I’m not sure how accurate this is but I am in constant pain now so I’m going to have a scan.
Do you get pain with your knee caps?
Thank you
Sean slater
I really would appreciate some feedback.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private phone numbers not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

This is very interesting. My younger brother was a very active child. He began martial arts in his early twenties and continued for several years to a black belt. He noticed pain in his knees which he attributed to the sport. Eventually, the pain became more severe and he sought medical attention. The doctor told him he had double knee caps ( patella as I now understand) My brother continued with the sport. I often wondered if A kneecap was somehow shattered during the sport and if the body may have absorbed it. My brother has since passed away from another health issue so I am unable to know if surgery was ever considered.