I have a friend, 18 years old female, who keeps complaining about her pain. She said it is area of knee, and she doubt it must be chondromalacia of patellae. I do not know where, but she seems to read about this problem. Now she is obsessed that must be her diagnosis. That is why I wonder could you tell me more about this problem with chondromalacia.

A chondromalacia patella is known as patellofemoral syndrome, and anterior knee pain. A chondromalacia patella is the softening and degeneration of the cartilage underneath the kneecap, on the Latin called patella. Chondromalacia patella that occurs in adolescents and young adults is related to overuse, trauma, or abnormal forces on the knee. It is more common in females, and many affected adolescents have a mildly abnormal alignment of the kneecap. Chondromalacia patella may also reflect arthritis of the kneecap, which is usually seen in older individuals, so I doubt this is case with your friend. People who have previously had a dislocation, a fracture, or some other trauma to the kneecap may be more likely to get chondromalacia pattelae. Symptoms for chondromalacia is knee tenderness, knee pain in the front of the knee that worsens after sitting for prolonged time, or knee pain that worsens with using stairs or getting out of a chair. If she really doubts this might be her diagnosis there are typical signs and tests to prove this. First, her doctor will perform a physical examination, where the knee may be tender and mildly swollen, and the kneecap may not be perfectly lined up with the femur underneath. I would definitely recommend your friend to visit her doctor, get right diagnosis and maybe treatment if is needed.