visited hawaii in december. upon my return, I started experiencing a bad case of traveler's diarrhea (or so I thought). days and then weeks went by with no improvement. in january, I went to the doctor. they ran some tests and found that I had gastrointestinitis (stomach flu). a week later I had to go to the emergency room because I was so dehydrated and had lost about 10 pounds. here we are almost 3 weeks later and I'm still in the hospital. they've ran blood tests, lymph-node biopsy, colonoscopy, x-rays, MRI, urine and stool tests. diagnosis...stomach flu. I am now completely bed-ridden. I have lost my ability to walk. I've had 3 blood transfusions due to passing blood in the stool. I have rapid heart beat, low blood pressure, uncontrolable diarrhea, shallow breathing, weakness (I can no longer feed myself), I have no abdominal pain, no fever or vomiting. I am basically paralyzed. I am wearing a diaper, catheter, tons of IVs (fluids and antibiotics) and am taking iron and potassium. Help!!! I don't think the doctors have figured it out and my family is so worried. I am frustrated and confused. I am 32 years old (celebrated my birthday in the hospital) and have always been healthy. what is wrong with me!?

Hi, I have had the same problem for 4 months. It happens everyday, its awful. I have had lots of blood tests an they all come back normal. My doctor has referred me to q colorectal surgeon. I just don't have a clue what's wrong with me. Hope you get better soon x

Have they checked for some weird amoebas or parasites since you were in Hawaii? Have they done viral studies? I pray you are feeling better and that you have found some answers otherwise head to Mayo Clinic. Take care and God bless

Have they checked for Leptospirosis? People sometimes contract that from the fresh waters in Hawaii.

Before we went to Maui recently, I googled "things to do in Maui"...Rat Lungworm came up...read up on that...lettuce causes it if not washed correctly. We steered away from all lettuce while we were there, and it's not like we were warned about it while there....just happened to show up on google ahead of time.
I know your post is over a year ago..hoping they found what was wrong? Since our return, my husband and granddaughter are having some issues.