for some months now I have been suffering with bad stomach pains, constipation followed by periods of diarrhea containing blood and mucus and I have allot of bad wind constantly which is often trapped causing discomfort. I have visited my doctor many times and given stool samples which for some reason where only tested for salmonella which came up clear. I have also had a sigmoidoscopy and they took a biopsy which was tested for inflammation and it came back as clear. I am finding it increasingly difficult to function as I’m extremely tired all the time and I wake in the night with my stomach in agony. Please help

i dont know a lot but why dont you get an endoscopy to check for colon cancer

i tried researching my symptoms and cancer was one of the things it could be so i asked my doctor and he said that the sigmoidoscopy tested for that. i pratically live at the doctors now and they still have no idea whats wrong with me. thanks for replying

It may be worth looking at your diet - you may have developed a sensitivity to dairy products or wheat. You might want to try cutting those out strictly for a few weeks and then introducing them a little bit at a time to see if it makes any difference.

There are a lot of books on the subject, or you could do it under the supervision of a naturopath.

Hol wrote:

The sigmoidoscopy can only look so far up...your problem could be further and only a colonoscopy will do. Please ask your doc for that test.

I have been having the same symptoms! Any luck with figuring out what it is?

Diarreah, constipation, stomach aches, mucus and blood sounds like crohn's disease.

This could be a number of ailments, but it sounds like it is most likely irritable bowel syndrome. Symptoms of IBS include constipation followed by episodes of diarrhea, abdominal cramping, and mucous stools. It may be helpful for you to keep a diet diary in order to ascertain if certain foods are irritable to your bowel habits. You may also want to try a fiber supplement to keep things moving during periods of constipation. Because your colonscopy came back negative, I would not worry about the possibility of cancer. Good Luck to you.

The blood is dright red and it dosent hert to sit so its not himroids. I believe that it is constipation after I read up about it. I would like advice about how to treat this.

i have had same symptoms for over 3 months and finally got seen by a specialist. he says i have to have a camera sent down to see whats the problem is he gave me a clue saying its either colitis ( some sort of infection) or crohns disease but the tests will tell me further.

will let you know what they say in the next couple of weeks so you got a heads up,

it is annoying i know going to toilet like 10 times a day, blood stomach cramps and bad craps lol but get the gp to send you to a specialist asap

I have been experiencing same symptoms, off & on for over 3 months, of diarrhea or constipation, mucous stools containing blood, cramps. Thought it might be IBS or Ulcerative Colitis. Hoping to see a gastroenterologist soon (insurance problems). Good luck to all of us.

Could be IBS, i suffer with exactly the same symptoms and was diagnosed with IBS, try peppermint tea to sooth the stomach x

I have the same symptoms went to the doctors who ran some blood tests. The blood tests came back and I have fatty liver and borderline cholestorol after seeing a liver specialist and having more tests. I went on holiday to thailand and ended up in hospital with severes pains in my right side told the specialist there about my bowel problems and had a colonoscopy which came back normal. Think it is IBS but still worried would a colonoscopy show up cancer, crohns and colitis ?

how did you get on as i am having the same issues , got my colonoscopy in a few weeks
cheers
lee

i have had the same for over 4 years and they still haven't worked anything out yet
now 4 years later they are finally gonna do the camera thing.. but its affected my life soo muchh
Im always ill and tired and constant pains in my side and stomach.. BAD constipation, blood and mucus :-(
they just took blood tests and gave me millions of medicine which done nothing
Now I'm gonna get it sorted whatever they say
Im 19 now and its too much!! :-(