I'm 16 years old, and I have now been sick for over a month (I first got sick at the end of November). I have been experiencing stomach pain/discomfort that comes and goes. It is generally all through the middle of my abdomen, but I have also noticed that I sometimes get sharp, shooting pains on the left side. The pain is worse after I eat, and it doesn't matter what I eat, the pain is still there. I don't have much of an appetite, but I have been trying to eat because I know that I should. This is extremely difficult, though. I have lost almost 10 pounds in the past month because I haven't been eating much, and really don't feel like eating. I've also been having horrible diarrhea.. sometimes I will need to use the washroom three or four times a day. I have tried taking Imodium for the diarrhea, but I always end up extremely constipated.. and the diarrhea only returns (I might have one regular bowel movement, but after that the diarrhea just comes back). I'm exhausted as well. I just want to sleep all the time, and I find it hard just to keep my eyes open throughout the day. My lower back is also constantly aching.. I just do not feel well at all.

I have been to see my doctor 4 times because I just don't seem to be getting any better. He initially thought that I had a viral infection, but after I did not improve after two weeks, he decided to run some tests. I gave a urine sample and he said that I probably had a kidney infection (but he wasn't 100% sure because I had my period when I gave the sample). He put me on medication, and sent me for blood work. I also had to give a stool sample. All of my tests came back normal, but the medication didn't help at all. The next time I saw him, he said that I might have an ulcer, and put me on apo-omeprazole, which I have been taking for about two weeks now. I'm also on medication for a case of bronchitis.

I am incredibly frustrated because nothing seems to alleviate my symptoms. I have missed 15 days of school because I just feel terrible. My parents think that I might be making it all up, or that it's all in my head, and my doctor has suggested the same thing (he told me that there was "absolutely no reason" a person my age would be experiencing symptoms like this for so long. I am NOT making this up, and I know that it ISN'T all in my head. I just wish that someone would actually take me seriously and believe me when I say that something is wrong. I have an ultrasound scheduled for Tuesday, but I just don't know how to cope at school until then. I'm also scared that the ultrasound will come back normal, just like all the other tests I've had done. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I'm desperate for answers and ways that I can cope.. I want to get back to school and my life.

hey there,

I have a couple suggestions for things you may want to be tested for (if you havent been already)

Have you been tested for Chron's Disease, Ulcerative colitis or Celiac Disease.

I truely believe you have something wrong and your not making ut up however it is probably something a little more out of the ordinary since the doctors have not been ab;le to find anything.

but then again some doctors just lable an easy diagnossis because they dont want to take the time to figure anything out.

let me know how your ultrasound goes and bring up thoes diseases when you talk to your doctor to see what he says.

;-)

Thank you for replying! I haven't been tested for any of those diseases, but I will be sure to talk to my doctor about them after the ultrasound.
:-)

Thank you Please keep me informed and good luck!!!! ;-)

Hey,

I actually found your posting when i was researching MY symptoms.
You and i have the same EXACT symptoms. The difference is i am 25 female- so maybe the doctors are taking me more seriously (sorry to say that :-(

Anyway, the steps of my sickness go like this:
Started with a bad tummy ache (which i thought was normal and would randomly stop)
Diarrhea for about 3 days- which i was like okay this is kinda long
then 3 days turned into 3 weeks. My friends/family URGED me to see a doctor, i kept thinking seeing a doctor for THIS was silly.

i see my doctor, he immediately puts me on cipro (an antibiotic) he thought it was an infection of some sort.
Nothing happened, still feeling terrible.

Next thing i know, i am in the emergency room (dragged by my boyfriend).
it got really bad- symptoms exactly like yours. Nausea, diarrhea, headaches randomly, fatigue (tired ALL the time) thirsty ALL the time, i would go to the bathroom like 6 times a day. it was TERRIBLE
the doctors at the emergency room did every test they could, they put me on an IV because my dehydration (from diarrhea) you lose electrolytes and such - anyway, they took my blood, rectal exam (to see if blood in my stool) and pointed me in the direction of a GI.

They said, its either the direction of a food allergy (celiac, lactose..etc) orrrr its like a bowel thing, IBD, IBS Chrons disease.. etc

Take yourself seriously, because this SUCKS. we need to get fixed.
I will keep you posed on what the GI says.

Feel better, and stock up on TP :-)

Oh wow. I was researching what's happening to me and I feel exactly what you're feeling. Only, my diarrhea is really bad. I go like about ten times a day or more. Sometimes I go once an hour, sometimes every half-hour. And then I get really dizzy and sweaty and I start vomiting. My body is very shaky especially at night because I get really really tired by then. I took Imodium and it was really bad. I stopped going to the toilet for a few hours but it came back double. Next thing I knew, I was already sitting on the toilet bowl for 30 minutes. D=

It's really exhausting and depressing because I can't even do the things I usually do anymore. I don't get to play with my dog as much also.

I am having these same symptoms...The only difference is that I am 45, and have had a hyserectomy 6 years ago.  The Dr just keeps giving me Prilosec, even AFTER I increased it on my own, now dr has added Zantac. NO difference. I am exhausted, cant exersize anymore, my stomach hurts all the time. I am miserable.   I fear I may be going insane! I just want one day where I am free from pain. Pain in my back, belly, fatigue. I hope they will get off of their rears and do something!

hey, i found your post when searching my symtoms. i'm 19 and have been suffering from serious stomach pains since october last year (the last time i remember!! but im sure its before then) 6months atleast! the DR's didn't do much to help me told me to keep food diarys recalling everything i ate but nothing has been solved yet! i am going to back to the DR's on thurday. i advise to get it looked at asap, as i have put mine off its really bad getting diareoa atleast 3/4 a week!

as the DR's are so unhelpful i think i will end up going to the hospitol and seeing what they can do instead. do you know what yours is caused by yet? x

hey! i found your post when researching my symptoms, i have exacally the same thing as you but i have had mine for months (at least 6months or more, i cant remember when it started but i know i had it in October last year!!) i get seriously bad stomach pains most of the time atleast once a day (its really bad as i have kinda just learnt to live with it now) but recently the pains are alot worse than normal. in Oct last i know i didnt get them as much or the diareroa wasn't as often. The last time i went to the DR i had to do a food diary which consisted of everything i have eaten in the last few weeks but nothing was resolved as i dont eat alot of things anyway such as red meat and dairy.

The DR's havent solved anything so i may have to go to the hospitol and see what they can do. i advise you sort it as soon as possible if you havent' already. Do you know what has caused it yet? x

I am not sure if this will help anyone, but i will let you know that i have been there, and after 3 years of extreme pain, I finally got an answer..
I started with simple pain in my stomach, and diarrhea on occasion.. after a few weeks, it got worse.. i would eat and then have to run to the nearest bathroom because the pain was so intense, it was like what ever i ate was running right through me.. After some time i was going to the bathroom any where from 10-15 times a day, and i was lucky if i could manage to eat two bites of food a day... i was dehydrated all the time, dizzy, tired, at some times it hurt just to move.. so i went to a surgeon and he sent me for a colonoscopy.. he said he saw some inflammation in my colon, and i should see a Gastro.. so i set up an appt with a gastro.. little did i know, this man was an amazing doctor... he sat with me in his office for about 2 hours, asking me every question under the sun, even things i didnt think were relative to my problem.. he then thought i had ulcerative colitis, and started me on medication right away.. after two weeks i went back to see him and the meds were not helping, so we tried another.. after a month or so, i was still feeling like c**p.. it got to the break point when i was sitting playing with my son, and the pain got so bad that i passed out.. i was out for over an hour... so my mother in law took my son for a little while, and i took a bath.. while in the bath tub, i passed out again, and thank god woke up not long after when i was up to my chin in water... so i called my doctor, he had me come to his office and from there, admitted me into the hospital.. he looked right at me, and said, "im sorry, i thought i knew what was wrong with you, but i dont.. but i will not stop until i know what is wrong with you.." i was in the hospital for almost a week.. i was going through heart failure, because of such horrible dehydration and malnutrition.. i had lost some 40lbs, and looked so sickly, and after a ct scan, MRI, x-rays, another colonoscopy, and about 30 rounds of blood work, he finally found it... i was diagnosed with a disease called Pernicious Anemia (meaning: deadly blood)... it is rare for someone my age to have this disease (25 at the time) and they usually dont see it in people under the age of 60.. Pernicious anemia is due to an inability to absorb vitamin B-12 (also known as cobalamin or Cbl) from the gastrointestinal tract. Humans get vitamin B-12 from animal products; both meat and dairy products are dietary sources of vitamin B-12. The body is able to store vitamin B-12 for a long time, so inadequate dietary intake must persist for years before a true deficiency of vitamin B-12 is reached. Because of this, the symptoms of pernicious anemia usually do not appear for years. While pernicious anemia is most commonly diagnosed in adults with an average age of 60, a rare, congenital (inborn) type of pernicious anemia has been described. if it helps anyone, all my symptoms were
Tiredness
Dehydration
Loss of feeling in hands and feet
Extreme diarrhea (10+ times a day at times)
Loss of appetite
Weight loss
Extreme stomach and back pain
Dizzy spells
Brain fogs (forget what i was talking about, or something someone said 5 mins before)
Weakness
Loss of balance when walking ect.

I now take a B-12 injection weekly, which for most people will change to monthly, but my levels were extremely low, and i feel much much better.. I do have occasional flair ups, but i can deal with that alot better.. i dont think this will help everyone, but i hope it will at least help one person.. Dont ever let someone tell you there is nothing wrong with you..

Like most everyone else I too found you by searching my own.  I started with the stomach flu and that went to a 3rd time bout with pancreatitis.  I spent a week in the hospital in March, Dr. put me on neutriant feedings 10 hours a day on TPN.  I go in 2 weeks and 5 days for an ERCP to look in the ducts around pancreas and in the pancreas.  My gall bladder has been gone since 1991.  Dr's have told me if they can't find the issue with this test I will need to go to a bigger medical center.  So I already have a Mayo Clinic appt. for the 30th of June.  I am not young like you and going through being newly empty nested.  I am 46 and a little worried about the "C" word.  I believe it is just a blockage which can be fixed with the ERCP.  May God help us all in finding the right Dr's with the right tests and able to see our issues.

Quote:

I have had diarrhea for over a week and my lower back has been in pain. I think that they are related. I have seen several doctors and no answers yet! they will be sending a small camera down my throat. This camera will go all the way threw the digestive system. I have other issues going on as well. I am waiting to have this done next tuesday. My blood pressure has gone way down and I
am very week.
I will pray that they fine results for you soon! You are young and you should not being going threw this.

Hi There, I don't know if any of you have had your thyroid hormones checked? Hyperthyroidism is when the thyroid produces too much hormone.

It can cause the symptoms-
Anxiety
Diarrhoea
Menstrual irregularities
Weight Loss
Fatigue due to muscle weakness
Increased sweating
Increased bowel frequency

I'm studying the thyroid at university and thought some of the symptoms matched the comments.

Hello a friend of mine has been having these symptoms and I just want to know Have you actually been Diagnosed with something? he is getting a ct scan tomorrow and has to get blood and stool testing tomorrow I am very worried about him and want to know what is going on :(

I have the same symptoms! I can't figure out what could possibly be wrong.. I've seen my doctor for it lots..and he said its all in my head also. Or it could be that there's abnormal bodies in my intestines that shouldn't be there. I'm not sure but that's what's going on with me too, let me know if you got.an answer for it by now.