I know that hepatitis is an inflammation of the liver, which causes soreness and swelling. I have also heard that hepatitis can be caused by many things. Drinking too much alcohol, abusing drugs and taking some medicines can cause this disease. Beside this, I have heard that many viruses can cause hepatitis, too. However, I would like to hear what hepatitis C is, is this different then just a usual hepatitis.

The truth is that several viruses can infect the liver. Each hepatitis virus is named with a letter of the alphabet, so there are three main types. Those are hepatitis A, hepatitis B and hepatitis C. Hepatitis C is usually spread through contact with blood products, like accidentally being stuck with a dirty needle, using intravenous drugs. If you are sharing needles, or getting a blood transfusion before 1992, you are under risk for getting hepatitis C. Most people do not feel they are sick when they are first infected with hepatitis C. Virus stays in patients’ liver and causes chronic liver inflammation, so most people do not have any symptoms for years. Hepatitis C is a chronic illness, which means it does not go away. If you have hepatitis C, you need to be watched carefully by a doctor because it can lead to cirrhosis and liver cancer. Many times, the cause of hepatitis C is never found, but for now, we know this virus can be transmitted through sex or sharing razors or toothbrushes, and tattoo needles.