Users comments and reviews on article Hiatal hernia by SirGan

Hi
I am a female that was born with a bump on my sternum area, the doctors than (1972) had no idea what this bump was. I remember when i was a small child that i would get sick ALL the time, i would be sitting in grade 1 and all of a sudden would get sick. The doctors than diagnosed me with Nervouse stomach syndrome. Time went on and it wasn't until I was in my early 20's that things got really really bad. Everytime i ate it would hurt so bad that i would have to make myself sick just to get any comfort. Finally my doctor referred me to a specialist, he than diagnosed me with severe heartburn, so i had surgery for that. It helped a little but the bump was getting much larger and i still had pain when i ate. I started getting sick all the time and lost alot of weight, i kept going having to go into emerg. because i couldn't stop getting sick to my stomach, once i started vomiting i couldn't stop. A year and a half of emerg. visits and after only being told everytime that i had the stomach flu I finally got in to see a specialist, I had told him about my stomach and that i was born with a lump and that i had the acid reflux surgery but was still having problems. Well another round of tests and more tests and more tests, the specialist thought maybe i was crazy or something until he dicided to do surgery. I remember waking up and he came in and appologized to me again and again, it was indeed a hurnia and a large one that was strangulated but for some reason was hard to spot on ultra sounds and xrays and everything else they had put me threw. He did, i think, repair it. Now they know what that bump was, i had it at birth and suffered with it for a long time before anyone knew what it was. I do have still alot of problems, now my stomach swells up into my chest cavity and puts pressure on my heart, there is times when i do still get sick to my stomach and the pain is outrageouse but i've lived with it all my life, i just have to wonder about cancer!!! and will i end up being on a feeding tube in my later years, god forbid. There is no real cure for this, the problem will always be there, and it causes havic on my whole digestive system. I've learned to watch what i eat and have learned to deal with the constant pain of it too.

Is this difficult to diagnose? It looks like the symptoms are pretty vague and could be anything from allergies to something along those lines. I don't think I would guess that someone has a hiatal hernia. Are there keys that you can see that give it away?

Hi, I am a 50 year old female. I had a hiatal hernia that I had repaired 2 yrs. ago. Best thing I ever did. I had pain in my middle back,
I had acid reflux that could not be controled with medication. I would get nauseas when I went to bed at night. During the day I would also become nauseas and eat something to try to calm it. The hiatal hernia allowed my acid reflux, after having the hernia repaired I had no more acid reflux.