Hello! Two years ago I was diagnosed with hiatal hernia. My doctor said it was very small and since I had no trouble with it, that we should just let it be for the time being. For the last 10 days I have been getting these strange flank pain on the left side, which wouldn’t go away. I was wondering if this pain is caused by the hernia or could it be something else? Thanks so much

Hiatal hernia wouldn’t cause pain on the sides; it would rather cause discomfort in the chest area, belching or a heartburn. Pain on the sides is usually a sign of a kidney problem like a kidney stones on its way out, kidney infection and even bladder infection. You didn’t report having any other symptoms, so it is hard to think of what exactly it could be.
If urinalyses didn’t show anything, your doc may suspect IBS or even gallbladder problems, pancreas inflammation, spleen disorders. As you can see, some of the possible causes are nothing to play with, so seeing your doc is essential. They may decide to do an x-rays, run blood tests, an ultrasound to see what’s going on.