24/male/non-smoker/non-drinker. I've been on ranitidine (zantac) 150mg for a month due to my doctor believing that I have an ulcer or some other disturbance of the stomach. My main symptom was a burning or stinging pain under my right rib hours after eating, however in the past few days my symptoms have gone in a completely different direction and I don't know what to make of it.

Basically, now that pain under my rib has gone away, but it's been immediately replaced with chest/esophagus pain. My main symptom is the feeling that there's a hard ball of something trapped in my esophagus and it doesn't go away no matter how much I eat or drink. It sometimes also feels this way in my upper throat but it is almost always in the middle of my chest. I have no nausea, almost no reflux and no vomiting, stool seems normal, and nothing seems obstructed as I can eat meals normally, I simply have this sensation which lasts for hours after I eat. I've also progressed to random bouts of a gripping, stabbing pain under my sternum around where my esophagus meets my stomach, which are often short-lived but noticeable, and sometimes I will have this pain while eating or immediately after eating. Everything else seems normal, but I'm concerned by this pain as I've never had it before. I've never been diagnosed with GERD, IBS, or any of the usual suspects for GI issues as I tend not to have reflux or nausea problems, but there's still this pain and "stuck" sensation.

Is this anything that I should seek medical help for or does it just sound like garden variety GI distress? I find it strange that a new symptom set suddenly replaced my old symptom set almost entirely, but if anyone has any experience with these issues your advice would be extremely appreciated. Thanks so much to anyone who can help.

Have you been checked for a Hiatal Hernia?

I haven't been checked for a hiatal hernia, but thank you for the advice, if I seek medical attention over this I'll be sure to bring it up.

The past couple of days I've still had the sensation albeit more lightly. Almost no pain now, but the "stuck" feeling lingers. It is sometimes higher in my throat and sometimes I need to drink one or two glasses of water to calm the sensation when it is high in my throat. 

I went off of my ranitidine to see if it would make things worse or better, but all it has resulted in is burning acid in my stomach and esophagus when I wake up in the night. It was my first incidence of serious reflux since I started taking the medication over a month ago. If it doesn't go away in a couple of days I'll try to get my doctor to refer me to a gastroenterologist. 

i have had the same problem for more than 5 yrs. my doctor has run many test. endoscopy, digestive disorder,acid reflux, gurd. they say i have a haitail hernia, but it has gone away. i still have this problem. some times worse, some times not so bad. some times dycyclamine helps with this pain. some times it does not. my best suggestion is to get another gi who is open to new types of testing. i am doing the same. i wish you well, and good luck.