Hi all,
I'm a 38-year old female. I had the pleasure of an open inguinal hernia repair in June 2010. Rare for women, I hear, but lucky me! The gynecologist went in through my belly button thinking we would find ovarian issues. She saw the hernia and called in a general surgeon (while I was still asleep) who had to open me up to repair it, using mesh.

I was bloated for a few weeks after, but it seemed to go away. Three months later I developed bowel problems, which have NOT let up. I've been to the regular doc, done blood tests and other 'nastier' tests, but there is no sign of infections, parasites, whatever. It sounds more like Irritable Bowel Syndrome, but I have been referred to a gastroenterologist. Going tomorrow.

Could any of this in any way be related to the hernia surgery???? Do people developl gallbladder issues after hernia repair????

Your bowel problems are related to inguinal hernia surgery simply because they are most likely caused by hernia itself. Gastroenterologist is basically specialist in stomach problems – he deals with bowels, intestines, stomach conditions, among others. Gallbladder is just one of the organs he specializes in and it looks to me like he won’t be focusing on that part of the stomach. Inguinal hernia basically is a part of your intestine that moved out of its place all the way to abdominal wall, and with surgery they repaired part of the muscles that form the wall. That hernia-part of intestine, on the other hand could have easily been damaged before they discovered it was actually out of place and is now causing problems with digestion. Have they recommended you any special diet? That should be a big part of post-op when it comes to stomach surgeries.

Really interested to read your story. Im 32 and had bilateral inguinal hernias. I too had the pleasure of having them repaired at the same time, with open surgery.

Everything that you said i can second. I had my op 7 months ago and i am no further in finding out what is wrong with me, than what i was 4 months ago.

At first i was told it would pass, but after being told this for literally months, whilst my situation hadn't improved, i was refered back to my surgeon, who suspected i may have a 3rd hernia! Eek! I had an ultrasound which was clear, and now i'm waiting for a herniagram, so they can rule out a 3rd hernia..

But i went to a+e today because i've been feeling really sketchy the last few days and felt i had no other option. The a+e doctor told me, he's been a consultant for 7 years and as far as he can see, my surgeons did a great job with the hernia repairs but it looks to be a problem with my colon. Great!

I'm kinda happy that he doesnt think i have a 3rd hernia coz i don't fancy going through that again but now i'm concerned this could turn out to be a much bigger problem.

I really don't understand what's happened? I never had any of these stomach problems, bloating, burping, feeling of swelling from inside, prior to my bilateral inguinal hernia op (my 1st ever op). What is going on?????

I'd love to hear from anyone with any experience of anything like this, i'm DESPERATE!

Many thanks!

Hi ,I have had a long journey with pain..it will be 2 yrs in oct..2013..first I got really bad bladder infections ..3 in a row..then IC...then went to the pelvic clinic for pelvic pain syndrome...constipated all the time..even constipation problems before all of this..the pelvic physio had me doing yoga every day and did treatment of muscle release while also teaching me to to it myself for pain and doing exercises...i walked 6 km. every day and all this while I had no energy and was diagnoised from my gastro with ibs...went to a natural dr and had the carroll food sensitivity test stopped eating the milkand soy and can,t eat grains and sugar together...still I have IB..the the last 2 weeks while away found a bump on my pelvic wall while trying to treat myself for pain.. can,t walk very far and can,t do yoga for stress as i have determined that i have a inguinal hernia because of the pain..I have nothing to loose...I think that your colon problems may be a result of your hernia but I have had it in reverse..I can,t say a 100%...naturalpath is your best bet as anything the gastro doesn,t know he automatically says its IBS and throw some pills at you but I want to know what is causing the issues...doctors couldn,t figure it out so I have had to figure it out myself..i take a 100 billion probiotics, digestive enzeymes plus other items the naturalpath has given me..before this I have never had a stomach issues and even with these aids I still have the nausea and constipation...it will be a long road back but u need to get your good bacteria up and a natural dr will help...what have u got to loose..hopefully when I have it repaired I will get at least the pain relief