I have had a haiatal hernia for over 7 years it protrudes into my diaphrahm. I have had trouble breathing from time to time . I ma over weight i weigh about 240. Whats so bad is when i first got the hernia i was
about 185. I am forty seven and whhen forst diagnosed some drs said operated others said lose weight and it might become symptom free.
I am tired of being short winded. what shall I do. ?

I am 35 and also overweight (5'3, 224 lbs). I just had hiatal hernia repair surgery as well as gallbladder removal surgery (all at the same time) on April 20th. I say get the surgery even though the recovery is not that easy. I had laproscopic (six small incisions), my chest is still sore, I have left shoulder pain, can only eat small meals, it hurts to burp or hiccup, and I will never be able to vomit again (found that to be true last night). But all in all, I would do it all over again. I rather deal with pain that I know will eventually go away instead of acid reflux for ever!