I have been with my husband for five years and we have never really used protection sometimes we will use condoms but most of the time we use the "pull out method". I was with an ex while we were having some problems, which I later learned I was pregnant. My question is if it's possible my ex is the father of my unborn child? I've been having unprotected sex with my husband and all of the sudden I get pregnant now after so many years? As of now everything points it's my husband's. My lmp was 03/09/12 which was kinda light with some clots. My periods tend to be irregular && are sometimes "light"...I was supposed to get my period in February around 21St. I was with my ex only on February 10th && 13th. I took a pregnancy test two weeks && half after I was with ex && it came negative then I had my light period in March. My first u/s was already in my second trimester where I measured 5 days ahead, then on my 20 wk scan the same. I'm currently now 36 wks 3 days, and I had another ultrasound which I was only measuring a day ahead. What are the chances it's my ex's? I have due date of December 14th, if it were by any chance my ex's I would at least be measuring 3 weeks ahead. Wouldn't the ultrasound catch that? I was also measuring on point with my fundal height && now I'm measuring 32 centimeters at 36 wks? What does this mean? In my heart I believe it's my husband's but I'm scared it could be my ex's. Any thoughts?

Hi Belle,

Would you say that your period in March was "normal?"  Like others that you've had?  If so, it was unlikely you were pregnant then.  You need to wait at least 2 weeks for the home tests, you did.  They were negative.

You say that you expected your period around February 21 but from your post you also say it came March 9.  That is a bit unusual.

If you are 36 weeks 3 days along as of today, that would be March 6.  Doctors base dates off of your LMP.  Why?  Because most women know exactly when that was.

It looks like your husband is the father.  

There is always a chance it was the ex.  It really depends upon your March period.

Hi medic Dan,
Question what do you mean if I'm 36 weeks 3 days as of today that would put my period as of March 6th && not the 9th? I can't really say if it was "Normal" since it was short, but it wasn't necessarily spotting neither.My periods tend to be irregular too with me skipping a month but it did seem a little off to me. Could it be it was just really late? I find it odd too that it came so late when I expected it from February 21-24th the latest. Could it be my ultrasounds are wrong? Technically if it was ex by my calculations my due date would be tomorrow at exactly 40 wks if not early December.

Don't worry about 3 days in my calculations.  I used an app to track back what your estimated gestation is and when your LMP would have likely been.

Ultrasound dating is not an exact science.  Everything is an approximation as are due dates.  They look at "averages" and estimate how far along you are.  No test can pinpoint exactly when you conceived.  Still, it is unlikely they are off by almost a month.

You say your period seemed "a little off."  You also indicate it was late and "short."  I know you had a negative pregnancy test but they are not always reliable early on.  Irregular periods make it harder to estimate when you should have ovulated/conceived.  

I'd be more comfortable if you said you had a "normal" period.

Your period before should have started around January 24.  Normally you'd ovulate sometime between days 11-16, or the 30th to the 9th.  Sperm can survive about 5 days, the egg, 48 hours.  Having sex on Feb. 10th it is very possible for you to conceive - again, irregular periods and I'm using averages.

When did you have sex with your husband in March?

Ultimately, I think you're looking at a DNA test to determine who the father is. 

Hope it helps.

I was with My husband after period can't remember the exact dates sometime around March 15th. On February 10th I used protection with the ex. My period on January was on the 21St, but I skip months sometimes. So you think the ex could be the father although I had a negative on the pregnancy test && a period? I didn't think it was implantation bleeding because I had blood clots, && wouldn't that be too far off to get implantation bleeding from February 10th-13th? And on my last ultrasound the doctor told me the baby is measuring 35 weeks in everything, I know they aren't accurate as you have said but wouldn't they pick up on a almost month difference if it was my ex's child? I would be close 40 weeks by now if it was his.

The 3 day earlier period in January, and you said "protection" means it was unlikely you conceived then.

No, I don't believe they could be off by a month in their estimates.

I'm feel more confident saying that it is your husbands baby.

So it's unlikely that I didn't conceive since I had a period on the 21St of January && I used protection? A month are my estimates if it were the ex's since I would be 40 weeks tomorrow...

I don't think you were pregnant when you tested after the ex.  The timing would have been poor for you to conceive with the ex and you said you used protection.

Both of those are reasons I feel more confident in saying that it is your husbands baby.

Okay makes sense. Do you think the timing would have been poor on February 13th if I didn't use protection?

The timing should be even worse for the 13th.  

This is my earlier estimate: "your period before should have started around January 24. Normally you'd ovulate sometime between days 11-16, or the 30th to the 9th. Sperm can survive about 5 days, the egg, 48 hours."

I would amend that to be You'd ovulate from the 27th to the 6th.  Sperm could survive about 5 days, the egg 48 hours.  Basically, by the 8th it is unlikely the egg was viable (able to be fertilized).

Okay I understand know. The egg had a better chance of getting fertilized after that "light" period In March then since I probably ovulated early. So if my period would've been on January 24th the timing would've matched more && it doesn't since it was on the 21st