Hi! I had pneumonia in February this year, my x-rays were normal after treatment. But I still have a cough, breathlessness and occasionally chest pain. Anyone who had the same problem? What treatment did you get?
Any advice? thanks, Sabrina

Yes, I had a very severe case of pneumonia 12 years ago. I was in the hospital for a month and it took me a year to fully recover. I was coughing alot, had  shortness of breath and chest pain. I was given some kind of steroids to help with the symptoms. I believe it turned into a form of bronchitis. I avoided cold drafts and any irritants that made the coughing worse. Mild exercises and breathing exercises and positive thinking helped. Also, staying away from starchy foods, wheat and sugar is a good idea. Good luck!

I had the same issues. I struggled to walk any distance and had constant chest pains from where I had been coughing so much afterwards. A few things that made a huge difference were:
1. Deep breathing excercises to get the lung capacity back... eg try swimming... start off with just a length at a time... try holding your breath for as long as you can for each length. (to start with it seems impossible and I'd suggest using a shallow pool in case you find it too strenuous... temp of the water is also an issue... get in and wait for a few mins before doing anything!)
2. Wrap up warm, try to stop the coughing cycle. Coughing causes pain, and pain can cause coughing... pain killers stop pain and therefore can stop coughing if it's a cycle!
3. Try not to breath in cold air as your lungs will be sensitive to the cold... build up resistance to temperature changes over time... it does get better just give it time.
4. If you get a chesty cough and it doesn't go after 7 days go to your gp... it could be a reoccurrence. Let your GP know you've had pneumonia and they will be thorough!

Best of luck!

SB

Do you feel 100% back to normal?

I had pneumonia this past June and still have breathing problems. The same, last x-ray came back okay. Mine came from falling and having 2 broken ribs. When you have broken ribs you don't take deep breaths and this causes pneumonia which I've never had. Tired of it, scared and just called Doctor. Age has a lot to do with getting better. Doctor said the older the longer. I am in my 60's and told it could be many months. So tired of it. Do what I can and I do.

Thanks. How long to get over this?

I just had the flu and developed bacterial pneumonia in mid-March. For three weeks I was not feeling well. Since then I too have shortness of breath and the cough is not completely gone. I thought I was the only one experiencing these symptoms.

Same! I had pneumonia in December and it's getting slowly better but I still have coughing and wheezing at night. Was worried it was turning into asthma? Doctor gave me hayfever medicine which is helping a lot but I've never had hayfever before?

Inwas.also.treated.for.pneumonia. I never has x-rays after treatment to see if it.cleared. Am so.worried.asthe cough.is.back.and.shortness.of.breath.sometimes. I.feel bad.that.i.cant.laugh like I used to.avoid.coughing. I really need.my old.self.back

Do you still have the cough? I am 1.5 months post pneumonia and still coughing

I had pneumonia started October 30, 2017. I was prescribed to take 2 kinds of antibiotic. One for 7 days and the other one for 5 days. I felt better after the treatment but still I had cough and breathlessness. I went back to the doctor after a week and she said that I might have TB since the cough isn't gone yet. So I was asked to undergo 2 kinds of xray, the lateral and the close up, and a sputum test. Thank God, it is negative. The doctor listened to my chest and didn't hear the wheezing anymore. Although I still have some times of short breath. Then, sometimes I hear the sound somewhere below my ribs. I am paranoid. But when I breathe well, I don't hear that sound-like wheezing,

Any thoughts?

I am trying to get over pneumonia. Been to two doctor, one my primary and the other my heart doctor. Both told me my lungs were clear. Had xrays done and came back my lungs were fine. Still coughing and spitting up crud but having shortness of breath. Really down in the dumps. Went to the store the other day, had to stop and try to breathe. No One, I mean No One stopped to asked if I was ok. Any advice. Thanks Nancy

Hi, Nancy. I had pneumonia, too. I was diagnosed last October 30, 2017 then had a week of antibiotics. After that, I had 2 kinds of x-ray and sputum test. It was negative. It's now December 26 and I am better now. As time goes by, you will feel better. I still experience shortness of breath a long the way but it the severity decreases as time goes by. You need to rest. Don't force yourself. The bacteria is gone in your chest but it takes a while to recover since the remnants which is the phlegm is still there. Drink a lot of water and take Vitamin C.

Hi. I started with the flu on 3 Dec 17. Had 2 chest xrays and then finally a CT scan that showed pneumonia and inflammation nodules. Have taken almost 3 weeks worth of amoxicillin and still feel sooo tired and achy. Going back to the doctors on Friday because of chest pain and breathless feeling and a tickle cough. Some days are better than others.So afraid of a relapse! I am 60 years old and never want this again.

I hope for a better result when you get back to the doctor. Don't get depressed or afraid because it might add up to your burden. Just be optimistic, okay?