Hi I started to cough and felt like i had chocked on a drink or something . This was not the case i was putting groceries into the fridge when i felt the need to cough. I spat out what i thought was just saliva when i realised that it was about a tablespoon or blood. I went to the hospital and about two hours later i brought up about 100ml of blood they did a catscan of my lungs and it showed nothing. This happened about three more times and then stopped. I still spat a little blood for a few days and then they did a proceedure called a bromcoskopy and it showed that i had a burst blood vessel in my lung. It has been three months and no other symptoms are present. Could you please tell me what caused this and if it could happen again. I am 49 years old and smoke about 30 a day

thank you

Mary :O

Just a thought...maybe smoking 30 a day? Because normal, healthy 49 yo lungs don't normally have rupture blood vessels.

It is most certainly the fact that you are smoking cigarettes, and in such large numbers. Not only does that cut off oxygen supply and make your heart work harder, but in turn the pressure in your lungs increases drastically thus blood vessils burst. To be blunt, if you want to prevent this from happening you have to quit smoking. A lot of people smoke and this does not occur, but if it is occurring it's a lot more of a serious issue. Give em up, or give your life up!

well i also had the same thing happen but it was because of feeotball and i took a good hit that knocked the wind out of me and when i got up i was coughing up blood and i went to the hospital did an xray and told me the same thing and this was a couple days ago and today im spitting out a little here and there

I am in hospital now with same thing this is horrid

I also have had this burst vessel in my lung twice and have never smoked a day in my life. After the second time it was determand to be drug reaction to blood pressure medican called actos.

My mom is in the hospital right now she had a blood vessel rupture in her lung and they said it was due to fluid being built up. My mom has a lot of heart problems, she can't breath without oxygen being hooked up. she is now on heated oxygen. I have heard that this is pretty serious but i don't know can anyone please help me out here. i don't know how serious it really is the doctors aint really telling us much.

my name is tom and i was just realeasd from u of m im ann arbor where they saved my life a blood vessel had blowwn in my lung where i had flat lined and was very close do to leaving this earth this is nothing to play with i am 51 smoker please dont mess with this go now.

I had my first episode with spitting up blood in November 2009. I could hear the blood literally squirting or spraying into my throat, like having your thumb on the flow of water from a water hose; lots of velocity. It happened again this week. Each time it has lasted less than a week, but I've lost as much as a cup and a half of blood in short periods of time. With the first incident, pneumonia and coughing were blamed for the burst blood vessel in my left lung. But with last week’s episode, I didn't have the same scenario going on - no coughing or pneumonia. Finally realized that I was getting a severe head ache about every 2-hours, too, so I began to monitor my b/p which I discovered was staying HIGH (well, on my worst day of bleeding), and I began to treat it by taking allowed extra doses of my b/p meds each time (about 80mg total of Lisinopril). The bleeding which was severe, stopped. Prior to this, I think my b/p had started inching up and had stayed too high and for too long, without me noticing it; because, after all, I was taking my heart meds daily - thinking that was all I needed to do. --Of which, evidently led to extreme pressure on a blood vessel in my lungs, causing it to burst. I am also a heavy smoker, but am working on quitting, though the doctors have confirmed I am one of those rarities that is chemically dependent on nicotine, so I may have to quit by staying on some sort of nicotine, forever - if necessary. I am 61 years old.

I'm only 25 and have only smoked for 2 years and the same thing happened. Opened up my eyes. No more cigs for me.

Hi ! Was coughing up blood daily for a m8nth. After i was in the hospital for 4 days they found that I had 3 broken blood vessels in my lungs and was rushed into surgery to burn them shut.I I was smoking about 30 cigarettes per day. I absolutely believe smoking was the cause. Consider this your warning sign to stop smoking before you end up with an irreversible illness, It was difficult for me to quit and I called my local 800 quit smoking hot line for help. It's been completely worth it. I have so much more money now and I don't suffer from shortness of breath like I used to. Its been 4 months since I've stopped.

I've spit up blood (including a giant clot) for five years. I've had all the tests done and the dr said my lung was bleeding a lot. A ct scan was done and I went to the dr yesterday for results. The dr couldn't find a cause for the bleeding so said he thought it was ruptured blood vessels and that they would heal themselves and to come back in a year. I would think that if they were going to heal themselves, it wouldn't take five years. I'm getting a referral to get a second opinion.

My aunt is in the hospital right now because she was spitting blood and they found out that it was due to ruptured blood vessel in her lungs and she doesn't even smoke.

I thought I'd share my experience with this problem. I'm a 52 year old, and had my first lung bleed when I was 44. I've had about 7 recurrences in that time, each worse than the last. The first time I only coughed up about 20mls and it was all over in a minute. The last one (about a month ago) I coughed up about 1.5 litres over a 13 day period; one of those episodes was 500mls in one hit. Prior to the last episode, the bleeding has eventually stopped of it's own accord. With the last one I ended up having an angiogram to embolise the arteries that were feeding the section of lung that was bleeding. I've had X-Rays, CT scans, bronchoscopies and numerous blood tests looking for possible causes and, at this stage, the only explanation they have is friable (fragile) veins. I've never smoked, but had bad asthma as a child, that developed into exercise induced asthma in my adolescence. I've managed it with Ventolin and Serotide since then and the asthma doesn't give me much grief anymore. I typically get bronchitis a few times a year, and had pneumonia in my 30's. My blood pressure is perfect. Considering how irregularly I exercise, I have reasonable fitness. A trend that seems to be appearing is that the bleeds occur within a week or so of me doing some form of exercise that requires my lungs to work harder than normal. For example, in the lead up to the last episode I was doing quite a lot of walking, including a very brisk walk up a steep hill 5 days earlier.

My brother smoked as did his wife. He was diagnosed in Dec 2016 with Stage IV inperable lung cancer but started chemo and radiation with a tiny window to live an extra few months. He had haeroptema, spitting out blood. On Jul 3, 2017 he was on the road to a treatment with his wife driving. He started to cough and could not stop bleeding. He bled out in the car in front of his wife and died before they reached the hospital. No one told them that a bleed out might happen. My hope is that he was not afraid or hurt and that he lost conscious like going to sleep.