I have a neighbor who told me he is diagnosed with pneumonia. I have heard many people were suffered form this scary disease. Because of this, I would like to hear more. Could you tell me is pneumonia contagious after a month? Last month he was diagnosed, so I wonder could I visit him these days. I would appreciate any info about this topic because he is very good friend of mine.

Pneumonia is an inflammation of the lung caused by infection. Infection could happen because of pathogenic bacteria, viruses, and some other organisms. Pneumonia is usually triggered when a patient’s defense system is weakened. Trigger could be a simple viral upper respiratory tract infection or a case of influenza. Such infections or other triggers do not cause pneumonia directly but they alter the mucous blanket of the lungs. Most often, organisms that cause pneumonia enter the lungs after being inhaled into the airways, which says pneumonia could be contagious from the air. Problem is also that sometimes the normally harmless bacteria present in the mouth may be aspirated into the lungs. It happens usually if the gag reflex is suppressed. Beside these causes, pneumonia may also be caused from infections that spread to the lungs through the bloodstream from other organs in patient’s organism. Under normal circumstances, the upper part of the body has very effective mechanisms that protect the lung from infection. If these defenses are weakened or damaged, however, bacteria or other organisms or pneumonia triggers can produce pneumonia, so you should not be worried that pneumonia is contagious after a month.