So I will try and make this as brief as possible...I am a 24 year old male, smoke approx 10 cig/day and drink twice a week. Was working out 4-5 days a week until I started having my problems.

It all started about 2 months ago when I was hitting a cigarette and experienced a shooting pain on the left side of my chest. Pain was only when I would breathe in, and slowly started to go away as the day went on but I began to notice my left shoulder hurting as well in the coming days. Went to doctor and he did an EKG and chest x-ray and they came back fine, he said probably indigestion or anxiety. Now pain has spread to my upper abdomen on my left side(just at the bottom of my rib cage), my left shoulder and the left side of my chest and I really only have these pains when I take a deep breathe in. Although my shoulder seems to sometimes hurt when I am doing nothing at all, or on my inhale of a normal breath. (also note the shoulder pain is in the front of the shoulder, almost just underneath the colarbone) I went to another doctor who also did an EKG, chest x-ray and blood work (to test for some levels of something to determine a heart problem) and all came back clear. Last but not least I also experience back pains on my left side, kinda like it is sore from working out. NOWWW the left side of my neck hurts when I take a deep breath in! The pain on a scale of 1-10 ranges from a 1-3.

I have had some major anxiety over this in the beginning, it has gone away a little since the docs are pretty sure it is not heart related due to the EKG coming back ok and that it has been going on for 2 months and I'm not dead yet. I've taken zantac and ibuprofen and neither of them seem to really help much. Any ideas? This is really freaking me out! I've read on some other sites some people with very similar symtoms (pain in shoulder, neck chest when taking a large breath), and no one really has a good answer.

Also, I do not have these pains every time I take a deep breath, nor do I only have then when taking a deep breath. Sometimes I have the shoulder, chest and upper abdomen pains just sitting around doing nothing.

it maybe your gallbladder. you may have a gallstone

its possible it may be a bloodclot i had the same symptoms june 2007 and got a catscan with iodine(x-ray didnt show) and it came back that i had a bloodclot in the lungs...... im praying for u....

It could be Pleurissy - that's an inflammation of the lining of the lungs. It's nothing major and it doesn't show up on any tests. I have this problem too.

I got pneumonia when I was 28 and have had this problem ever since (I am also a daily weed smoker which probably contributes to it). It is an occassional pain that comes and goes but it's been getting less and less frequent.... when I have it, I feel it in my back (left lower lung, all the way up to right below my neck) and I feel it when I breathe deeply or sometimes when I move certain ways. Occassionally the pain can be so severe it feels like I am being stabbed and it can come on suddenly. You can be feeling fine and then bam.

Several years ago before I knew what it was, I got a really sharp pain in my back and I went to the ER thinking I may have had pneumonia again. They did x-rays and everything was clear. I described my symptoms to the ER doctor and he said it sounds like I could have Pleurissy. He gave me a shot of Naproxin (which is an anti-inflammatory) and an hour later I felt 100% better. So since then, whenever I feel the slight pain, I take some Naproxin and a little while later I feel better. Naproxin can be bought as a generic or as Aleve in any drug store. I suggest you try that. I could be just some minor Pleurissy like mine (and your smoking may be irritating it).

But it is scary when you have pains in your lungs, especially when you have had previous lung conditions. But it turned out to be minor, so no need to panic yet.

:'( whenever i drink something or breath in heavilyi have a sharp pain in my left shoulder and i dont know why

I have something sort of similar. I experience a sharp pain in my knee (which is arthritic and pain prone) when I release a deep breath. Has anyone ever heard of something like that? My husband is sure I'm just plain crazy.
%-)

Did you ever find out what was wrong with you?

I had this exact same thing happen, at appx your age, and appx same cig smoking, etc. (except I am female)

It was weird pain, and every time I would take in a breath, felt like a knife stabbing at my chest, down my arm, and even up into my neck at times. The pain was piercing, and unbearable. I ended up going to the emergency room, and they admitted me -

Well, it turned out to be pleuracy.

There are 2 kinds, wet (where they have to drain the liquid) and dry. Luckily I had dry, and the symptoms just went away. But not for good, and even to this day (decades later), I still get it every once in a while - but more of like a "flash back" of it- never quite as bad as that first time. (and MUST less often since I quit smoking! That doesn't cause it, but it sure doesn't help!)

I know it was last year you posted this, but if you never found a reason, hope maybe that helps!

Wow, I am having the same neck pain issue while taking a deep breath, I too was smoking about 10 cigs a day.  I have been cig free about 1 week and this c**p starts.  I was scared I was gonna die until i read some of the posts above about not panicing. This pain felt like my brain was going to pop.  But it was my neck so its weird.  I am going to the VA emergency room tomorrow.   Thank you all for your inputs even thou this is an old thread. 

im 16 and i just got the same thing but for every breath i take(even very short) it feels like im being shot in the sholder and in the rips. it drives me crazy i mean the pain is soo bad i cant sleep at all it is now 4:22 AM.

thanks again for the help. :)

I've had the same symptoms though the neck aches seem to travel all around my neck... more like isolated pains for about a day and a half then a couple days later i'd feel it in a different spot... i've been diagnosed with Anxiety for well over a year so when ever i mention this the docs usually always say its just another symptom of anxiety and stress which i agree... have you had any new insight on your condition?

Hi There,

I recently had similar problems on my left side of my back, just at the bottom or below my rib-cage. It would hurt to take a deep breath and ultimately would prevent me from a complete inhale. I found this to be cause for concern, so i immeaditly schedueled a Dr. appointment that day. This was exactly 8 days ago from Aug. 2, 2012. I am 27, 5'-6" 135-145 lbs and (Did) smoke (approx.) 3 sessions a day for the past 7 years or so with tobac. & cannabis - until a week ago (July 25, 2012). That's done with.

The Dr. on call had me take a chest X-ray. the following morning I received a call from the Dr. (somewhat terrifying, as I have NEVER had a return call from any Dr.). The Dr. told me, "I think it is a minor case of pneumonia." Pneumonia is fluid in the lungs or simply an infection of the lung(s). The lack of confidence in the Dr.'s answer sent me for a loop. He did however prescribe me with Antibiotics that would treat the 'potential' problem.

I talked to the Pharmicist at the local drug store and he told me that I did not have to worry about being contagious, as I was only experiencing minor symptoms, which include: 1. Pain when a deep breath/ inhale, 2. When lying on my back - exhaling to the fullest started to hurt and I could feel my heart throb until i inhaled again. 3. Short of breath. 4. persistant cough (the odd one about 5-10 times a day - no phlegm, no blood. Now, the chest pain was pretty intense the first day - it did not start to subside until the following morning (the second day of problem, also when Dr. called to come in for prescription). The Dr. was not available to answer any questions, hence my asking the pharmocist.

After taking the prescribed drugs for a week (2, 250mg tablets taken twice daily with food. RAN-CLARITHROMYCIN) and a few Sauna sessions (very relaxing and helped with the breathing), I noticed that the pain was gone. (I have been told i have a high threshold of pain). The pain was gone around the second night - ish.

I am Canadian, so, going to the Dr. is not a problem for me and I also have health insurance through work.

After reading up on pneumonia, I found some scary stuff about the lungs... Lung cancer is sometimes found on chest X-rays - this is when I really started getting scared (almost hysterical), as I have an Aunt who was recently diagnosed with it (She had it spreading from breast cancer which one breast was removed approx 1 year ago). Lung cancer is BAD, very BAD and often times (based on what i read on the net regarding it) it will spread to liver, bones and or brain, which it has spread to the liver of my Aunt.

So, Aug 2 @ 9:30 pm I checked myself into Emerge at the hospital.

After approx. 3.5 hours or so in the waiting room (hopefully i didn't get anything else in that time) I had an E.E.G. done, blood tests, and another chest X-ray (my original Dr. told me to get one done a week after the first). Another 1-2 hours go by and I get the results from the emergency Dr. on call. I explaind everything above to the Dr. He then told me, "I do not see any signs of lung cancer or pneumonia. I think I received the E.E.G. test because I was getting more hysterical by the minute (reading more about lung cancer probably made my blood pressure and heart rate sky-rocket). Don't look into statistics for lung cancer if you don't have to.

The weight of the world was just lifted from my shoulders.

The following day/ evening of Aug. 2, 2012, I went to my family Dr. to get him to look over everything. He also said he does not see any signs of either. However, he did not compare X-rays, which I wish he did, and I am thinking of going back to get him to do so.

So; long story short, I experienced similar symptoms, got it checked out immeaditly, Antibiotics for 1-2 weeks until complete (I have 3 days left), Chest x-ray at time of pain and 1 week following, trip to hospital, blood and E.E.G. tests done, confirmation from Dr. on call to none of the above and finally to my family Dr. who said the same. And I am done with smoking - that was a scare of a lifetime (aside from actually having lung cancer).

Having to pay for any of the above would NOT have stopped me from getting checked out immeaditly. If you are short of cash, I am sure some employers will help you out with a cash advance or early vacation pay. It never hurts to ask. Also, consider family and friends.

It is key to write down anything and everything you experiance from the onset of pain/ problem. This helps when going to the Dr. Also, prepare a few questions before hand or a lot. I think more is better - but DO NOT correct Dr.'s due to info you have found on the net. However, it is ok to tell them what you may have found and would like clarification on certain issues.

I hope this helps everyone who experienced or is experiencing something similar.

Whishing you all the best,

Steve

"The only consistancy in life, is change. Embrace it." Modified quote from Frank Herbert's Dune.

I had similar symptoms with a sharp pain in my right upper back. Shoulder was uncomfortable as well. I have had a blood clot in my leg once after surgery to repair a broken ankle. Once you get one you're prone for life. I went to my doctor and she thought i may have a clot in my lungs. I had just come from vacation and flew, which increases the risk. I went to the hospital and they did an ecg for my heart, blood for dvt, doppler on my leg and chest xray. All which came back fine. They didnt do a ct scan because everything else came back good. They also said that a ct scan gives off radiation of 100 xrays, so if its not necessary then dont do it., Yet i still have this uncomfortable feeling and and fluttering in my chest.

Any ideas???

I am a 26 year old female  and this all started a few months ago i was a smoker since i was 18. I never had any problems with my health untill about 3 months ago i started having breathing issues. i would get so out of breath when i walked even to my front door! for long periods of time i would get chest pain and back pain (I thought i just had asthma). I finally couldnt take it one day and went to the E.R. which was 5 weeks ago and they did so many test. They noticed blood wasnt flowing properly to my heart so they wanted to do a ekg... They found a tumor a myxoma they called it in my left atrium and it was the biggest one they had ever seen it took up the whole atrium. so They addmitted me and i had open heart surgery the next day. Everything went good and i was out of the hospital 3 days later. A few days after that my wisdom teeth were so impacted and getting infected so i had to go get those takin out pronto we were worried the infection would spread to my heart or my incesion. so this was all within 2 weeks then one day a week later i started having shortness of breath and a horrible pain in my left shoulder and my neck every breath i took sent shooting pains down my neck. so i was back at the E.R. They did some test and told me i have pnumonia. They kept me there for 2 days giving me antibiotics and steroids i felt way better when i left.. now its been about a month since my surgery and about a week since i went in for pnumonia im finished with the antibiotics they perscribed but i am still having the pain in my neck and shoulder i went to my lung specialist office and he said to just keep taking the steriod he gave me which seems like it helps but i just cant get it to go away for good! ive been reshearching and havent found anywhere that says pnumonia causes neck pain and i havent had a cough at all nor have i brought any mucus up. The doctors said shoulder pain can be associated with pnumonia cause they are close to the lungs but not your neck... It just doenst make since!!!!

It hurrs under my right rib cage when i breath and my back and shoulders hurt, any ideas whats wrong?