BACK IN AUGUST 2005 I HAD PNEUMONIA AND WAS HOSPITALISED FOR 2 WEEKS. JUST LIKE OTHER PEOPLE I HAVE CONTINUED TO EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH MY CHEST EVEN THOUGH MY DOCTOR SAID MY XRAYS ARE FINE. I GET PAIN IN MY RIGHT LUNG ON COLD MORNINGS AND STILL GET BREATHLESS. EVEN AFTER ALL THIS TIME

HI CTaylor,

I just read your post. I have absolutely the same problem. I had
pneumonia in February this year. I still get chest pain (but on the left side where I had pneumonia) and I get breathless, also I still have the cough. I am quite worried by the symptoms. The last xray of the lung I had was also fine. I cannot understand why I still have problems. Do you also still have the cough? I think it is terrible you have this since 2005!!!! If you like, I would be pleased to hear from you...regards, Sabrina

I also have had pneumonia but for three weeks as my doctor misdiagnosed me and refused to do an xray.
I went through 3 day antibiotics...still coughing and the xray showed pneumonia
Followed by a 6 day antibiotic...and more coughing and chest/back pain..still had pneumonia
Now I am on 10 days of yet another antibiotic and I have to go back to work tomorrow.
My fears are that my lungs will permanently damaged as a result of this med resistant pneumonia.
Its a good thing your xrays came up normal..If this antibiotic doesnt work, I dont know what else to do.
question: I have not taken the prednesone the doctor prescribed because i tend to gain so much weight on it...could this prevent me from overcoming the pneumonia?

I was searching for people who has simliar issues and found this site. I had a really case of pneumonia about 1 year ago and was in the hospital for 2 weeks. I have had lingering pain and breathlessness for awhile, it comes and goes. For the past 3 months or so the pain has been persistent on the side and area of the pneumonia (it was only in my left lung). The doctors say that I am fine and the x-rays are clear. The tricky thing is that I am on pain medication (methadone) for a non-related issue, so this tends to mask the pain. Whenever I go without the medication for a day or 2 the pain really becomes apparent. Is there anyone out there that can help. Why can't doctors just refer me to a pulmonologist or someone who can help?

I highly recommend you check out someone who practices Chinese Medicine. Qigong will do ,"Miracles".

I pray the best for you:)

I am suffering from the same problems. I was diagnosed with pneumonia last November. It is now almost Feb. I had a chest x-ray after 6 weeks and it looked clear, with possible scarring.

I've been exercising every day and have little problems. I don't feel tired. But I still have a sick feeling in my chest, that goes from a tingling sensation to a dull ache and pain. It is most uncomfortable and causes a lot of anxiety to me. It doesn't seem to be getting any better either, in fact, it seems to be getting gradually worse.

Hi Fellow sufferers.
Well, I seem to have had a much worse case Im afraid of pneumonia than most.

I was hospitalised for 6 weeks. when I arrived at hospital...after being to my doctors three times!! and being told to have lots of water, asprin and bed rest, I was diagnosed with a bad case of pneumonia in both lungs.

the fluid on my lungs was that bad, that they put in a drain to remove it. Twice!

I was in kidney failure, liver failure and I was hallucinting when I arrived at hospital. This was the first stage of brain failure. After brain failure comes Heart failure and we know what that means. Well, I was in a really bad way.

I also had sceptisemia. (blood poisoning)

After the first 2 weeks in hospital, I started to come good, but then I started to cough up blood. Bright red blood. I was then told I had formed several abcesses on my right lung.

The decided to fill my lungs with a type of talcum powder is how they described it to me. This didnt work, as I then ended up with scarring and a lung adhesion. It has stuck to my ribs on my back. The talc was to stop it sticking.

The also filled me up with some other type of fluid anti biotic and then redrained it. I had a tap on my back!!

Well,,,the doctors said the only thing that actually saved my life, was I was a trumpet player...(and still am....just not as loud now!).

I have lost 2/3 of the use of my right lung due to scarring. My left lung now makes up for it. I do experience pain in my right lung, but I put that down to the adhesion. Sneezing is the pits!! Actually, so is yawning! but I can still play the trumpet.

I had this all happen to me in July of 2007. And 2 years later, Im still not right. Im REALLY weak in the legs. Felt mainly on stairs. Plus I get out of breath on stairs.

Ive gained about 25 kgs...maybe even 30 kgs since being sick, even though I dont eat much. Ive been sent into an early menopause...Im only just 40....and I really have had a bad time of it all.

My doctor has said that this illness has changed my body in more ways than I probably know.

If anyone can suggest a way of losing weight...I would be really grateful. I have a personal trainer who works me like a dog once a week. Twice a week I go to the gym on my own. 3 times a week all up at the gym.

I barely eat. I have coffee for breakky...a salad sandwich for lunch, and I use the Lite and Easy for dinners. And yet, Ive lost 3 kilos in 3 months. It is so down heartening to me. Ive always been a fit , slim woman up until I got really sick. Im even a blue belt in Tae Kwon Do! Im so sick of myself, sometimes I even wish I hadnt survived the pneumonia. But I guess I did for a reason. Maybe for my two wonderful sons who need their mum. Even tho she is a quietly depressed mum. Until now, I have always kept this to myself.

I do need some kind of help, or encouragement if anyone could offer any suggestions.

Well, now you see why I say I had a bit of a worse case than most of pneumonia.

Any help or suggestions?? Please?? Im at my wits end.

signed....
Quietly depressed.

Hi all
I had Organised Pneumonia 2 years ago and 3 bits of lung removed, 1 month in hospital 2 days in icu i am aged 33. I am still having problems now. the hospital have had me on steriods ( the pain i still get is c**p in the winter months) Chest infections seem to be every couple of months. if anybody has had any chinese herbal medicine, please pass the name on ....

Hey, guys.

I've also had the same problem. Last August I was diagnosed with pneumonia (I passed it off as a flu until I couldn't stop shaking from chills and had a 104 fever.) I was put on antibiotics and had shots on my hips every day for about a week and a half, and then the following month I relapsed. Anyhow, the doctor said it was weird for an otherwise healthy 23 year old woman to get pneumonia, but what can you do. (I have a theory it had to do with gym equipment that wasn't properly wiped down plus getting caught in the rain on my way to work.) To this day, I sometimes get chest pain and then I get a dull pain on my back where I was the most infected. Recent x-rays show I have scar tissue in that one spot. I was prescribed two medications and advair for the back pain, but one increases heart problems and the other makes me too drowsy to do much of anything, so I have stopped taking them.

I've gotten back into exercising daily and I find that helps immensely with the back pain. I suggest a good cardio workout.

An antiobiotic was not prescribed for my 14 year old son when I initially took him to his pediatrician for a bad cough, fever, chills, etc. He was sent for an x-ray, but it came back normal. A week later and worsening symtoms, the 2nd x-ray showed pneumonia and an antibiotic was prescribed, which he had an allergic reaction to. A new medication was prescribed and he has finished taking it. However, almost 8 weeks later and he is still having pain in his chest and back. Yesterday was our 4th visit to his pediatrician. He said that his lungs sound good. He is unsure why he is still experiencing chest pain. He sent my son to have an EKG, but the preliminary results of that came back normal also. I, too, am looking for answers as to why he is still experiencing chest and back pain. His pediatrician seems to be baffled. Does anyone who has experienced this before have any answers or remedies?

The pain is mostly likely scarring. I had pneumonia twice when I was a child and I have bad scarring in my right lung. They took a piece of it out when i was 18 and it was not cancer, but scarring. I smoked for years and it would hurt real bad sometimes, the dr told me that was because it was irritated or swollen mostly by smoking or illness such as a cold or something. I finally quit and It quit bothering most of the time. They only way i can describe the pain is it feel like someone stab me in the back. My guess this is most of you guys problem is scarring and if you don't smoke, my guess is either your lungs are still trying to heal or something in your enivorment is bother you. Allegys or anything can irrate your lungs. I wish I could give you tips on how to help with the pain, but the only advice is avoid smoking, being around smoking or anything that bothers you like allgerns. It is life long problem, I have deal with for at least 15 years. But, like i said it you can avoid irrate the scar tissue there is no pain.

I had bacterial pneumonia w/pleural effusion right lung in hospital 3 1/2 weeks this summer at age 39. I had been in the mountains and suspected altitude sickness so didn't go to dr. until it was bad. My lung is still tight at all times and when I have allergies my asthma is much worse and there is more tightness in that lung. But I can exercise normally. Yoga (kundalini) emphasis on breathing really helps. I hope this will go away one day. Maybe I should get a trumpet.

I had bacterial pneumonia over the summer, and just this afternoon the pain I experienced in my chest recurred, in exactly the same spot as it was when I was ill. Otherwise, I'm completely healthy. Sort of freaked me out at first, but having read through this thread I feel somewhat relieved to see it's not completely unheard of. Good luck with your personal cases, everyone!

It is very important to protect your self from any kind of infection. I was reading how we should be more careful during the holiday because many people gather around in one place. The say that children can pass pneumonia bug to older relatives during these few days.

hi, i had tuberculosis a couple of years ago..
though i have taken medication and it has been cured now..but still i feel chest pain sometimes..
rest is fine..what cud b the reason...

also will i b able to work in any good organisation after this disease..i m asking this because i got selected in a job, i when they identified that i suffered frm tuberculosis, by taking a chest xray, i was rejected..
what can i do in this regard...??
plz help..i m very worried about my health as well as career...