Hello, has anyone experienced this, if I lay on my back and breath deeply, my lungs feel conjested and full of muces. Only when I am on my back. If I cough it seems to clear it up for a few minutes. Had xrays a year ago and everything was fine. The doctor gave me a puffer to control my cough. At first I coughed up alot of flem, mostly brownish slime, but once coughed up 2 brownish pieces that were hard?? What do you think. Left overs from smoking 3 years ago? I smoked for 6 years and quit 3 years ago.

I have had this same problem for 3 years now. It is driving me crazy. I have seen numerous doctors and they have found no cause. It only happens when I lie on my back. I am fine if I lay in any other position. When I take in a deep breath my right lung especially feels really congested and there is a rubbing sensation. Then after the deep breath it is fine. I cannot get a good nights sleep because I am always making sure that I do not sleep lying on my back.

I have the exact same thing & I'm trying to find out why, to no avail. I did have pneumonia about a year & half ago, but it cleared it fine, with antibiotics. I also am being treated for asthma, but it doesn't help this sensation/problem & am not sure that asthma is the problem. If any one has any leads, I'd love to know!

I have also experienced shortness of breath while I'm lying on my back. It even happens sometimes simply when I lay down in any position. For the last few months I hadnt gotten more than one or two hours at most of sleep each night. I have been to the doctor numerous times, and he couldnt find anything wrong with me. I had all the heart and lung tests done, and even blood tests and thyroid, still nothing. He finally diagnosed me with panic/anxiety attacks. I thought this was totally inaccurate at first because my life is actually going great and I have not been feeling stressed out at all. But to my shock, the doctor put me on a mild anti-anxiety medicine, Lorapam, and I have been sleeping great ever since. I only take it when I cant sleep, and it doesnt make me drowsy in the morning when I wake up. I have been using it less and less, so hopefully my life will go back to way it used to be. I hated the idea of using medication to help me, but nothing was working. All the things on internet about "breathing exercises", counting, and good thoughts are completely useless. This medication really helped me and it's really cheap, only $14 per for a month's worth, even if you don't have insurance. I have had my month's worth prescription now for the last two months, and I still have some left because I have been taking it less and less. I hope this helps.

has any of your Dr's considered Sleep apnea? need to have a sleep study done

Hi just wondering if you had any luck with this sensation? Iv had it for 8 years!!

I am still having this problem. I cannot lay on my back without feeling a rubbing sensation inside my right lung/back area. It only happens when I breathe in. Had it for 10 years with no relief. Pure misery.

I get this too. I am 32 years old and has only started happening over the last few weeks. Only on my back after a couple minutes, take a deep breath in, clogged/rubbing feeling in the back of right lung. I cough to clear (instinctive cough, not like its making me cough when I feel the sensation) but makes it better. Not coughing anything up though. Its almost as if the weight on your lungs laying down squeezes tubes together in your lungs after a few minutes and causes this? No idea either, I don't have congestion or anything of the sort in other positions. I had a chest X-Ray, doctor listened to my lungs, said they are clear. What gets me is why this symptom just started out of the blue when Ive never had it before.

I dont know if you figured this out but I had the start of a sinus infection and this happened so my doctor prescribed me a nasal spray and I used it a few times but it didnt help at first like I could breath through my nose still but my lungs still felt weird when I would lay down so I kept using it and eventually when I use it before bed I dont feel my lung anymore

We're you guys able to find a diagnosis in this ??

Same problem here, but my nose also blocks. However if I put Xyzal in my nose the feeling disappears both the nose and lungs.

As an asthma patient I recommend you using Seretid inhalations for about a month. It is not bad for your health. You can take it twice a day. I have this condition for four years already.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private info not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I have the same exact thing happen to me. Did you ever figure out what it is?

DI'd you ever figure out what it was? I'm having the same issue.

I have the same issue... I'd love to know what this is!

Hi. I have the same issues and it drives me insane and depressed.
It started in December. I had strong breath (panic?) attack for about 5-10min - I hiperventilated without any reason. After that happened - In next day when I woke up I had completely full lungs + tinnitus (first time in my life - which stays till now). At the same time my heart went down from 72-82hr to 50hr. So I was thinking it could be caused by my heart - As I had also anxiety attack few days back when I was working on my computer (just 1 episode)... Also I was unable to focus, I felt dizzy when I was working on my computer. It stays till now and increases when I intensively work with my head/focus. So The full lungs persist for about 3months very intensively - now it happen only when I lay on my back. It's worth to mention that at January, month after the breathing attack, I went to sauna and it increases the lungs/heart problem and full lungs at night. When I never had those kind of problem before. Now we have half of June, I still have Tinnitus, problem with full lungs on laying back. And heart palpitation - at the morning - rarely, but I noticed it happen when I do some physical excercises. It's terrible. I had few times x-rays - nothing shown. Blood test - all ok. Full thyroid test - all good. Even I did spirometer test which shows 100% lungs efficiency - all good. Few times EKG and usually it was fine but once shown some problem but doctors says nothing about it. I had Echocardiography - all good. USG doppler on carotid arteries - all good. Physical stress test - all good. Laryngologist - all good with hearing (because of tinnitus). It's also worth to mention since December till June I had 2 episodes on eye-view flickerring vision. It happen on strong physical exercises and once when I took cold-bath. So I made fundus examination - all good. Doctor says it might be psychological - I should visit psychologist - I strongly disagree with him as I have nothing to worry about and I started to make some research on my own. So in April I made 2 tests mycoplasma and chlamydia pneumoniae. I was fine with mycoplasma, however with Chlamydia pneumoniae I had very weird results: IgM was fine (Active disease), IgG (past or chronic) was on the neutral levels, so then I made a IgA (chronic) and it shows also neutral levels... I could done this earlier because that probably fu...ed my lungs and caused tinnitus on december attack. But nobody told be or guided to do so... I read about this disease a lot and it sounds like it fits everything - it might cause the pneumonia, full lungs, as well as astmatic issues (breath attack). But this dizziness drives me crazy and I think this is the result of it. I went to a doctor with it, but when I heard "chlamydia pneumoniae is transferred by sex path" I just pass... Doctor failed with the information knowledge - it's terrible. Now I'm waiting for the MRI of head to check if it's all good (because of eye flickerring / tinnitus) I will have it on 11 july.
Maybe I should also mentioned that I had Staphylococcus aureus - in my throat . However it looks that I handle it with the inhalation of the birch smoke (I cut it from trees but it had to be moist). I made inhalation for 2 weeks, each next 2 days, for 10min max. After that I made lab test and it was gone. I heard also that silver colloidal is very effective with staphylococcus aureus but I didn't try it - worth to mention. But I struggled with it since 2011, I had the MSSA aureus, not MRSA. Some doctors says it's physiological, so I shouldn't have to worry about it.
I also have in my throat Streptococcus viridans but doctors says it's physiological and there is nothing to worry about, even it's "abundant growth". I heard that it might cause the heart issues if it went there. And might cause pericarditis. I still struggle with that streptococcus viridans but dunno if thats the case of my heart problems...
I hope I shared some knowledge which might be helpfull with You. But still I didn't solve the problem of mine. I still struggle with full-lungs on laying back, tinnitus, heart problem after physical excersises (usually after wake up for few minutes then ok).
Soz for my english it's not my native language.
Cheers.