Last year I suffered a lot of pain from hemorrhoids that suddenly became worse.  By the end of the year, it was worse yet and I was bleeding quite a bit.  The bleeding was rarely when I had a BM, so I had to always wear a sanitary pad or risk having a mess.  It finally became too much of an impact on my life and I had surgery on 12/5/2012. 

My family doctor had referred me to a general surgeon.  I really wish I'd gone to a colon/rectal surgeon instead.  He removed (via surgery, not using staples or bands) 2 large internal hemorrhoids and one external hemorrhoids.  I had trouble having a BM from the beginning.  There was a lot of straining just to have a thin t**d come out, so I increased my magnesium and laxatives to keep it soft.  But it kept getting worse.  I went back for checkups twice (although there was no physical examination at these, just talking) and complained about it, but the doctor just said to give it time.  When I realized I couldn't get a suppository inside, I made another appointment and insisted that something was really wrong.  I was writhing in pain when he tried to examine me with his little finger.  That's when I got the diagnosis of anal stenosis.

I tried using manual dilators (pediatric ones from 8mm to 14mm) but after a couple weeks decided to get another opinion from a colon/rectal surgeon.  I figured he would have a better idea of how to treat this.  I've undergone 3 dilations under anesthesia (one was while I was also getting a colonoscopy).  He mentioned anoplasty (advancement flap surgery) as a possibility. More surgery with the possibility of more complications terrified me!

Today I had another checkup and he thinks the scar tissue has softened up quite a bit.  He told me that with the progress I've made I don't have to worry about more surgery.  He expects the scar tissue to continue to soften, which will allow larger BMs, and I should get back to normal.  What a big relief!

But then I had to open my mouth and ask a question.  I have these 3 small skin flaps.  I've read about others get skin tags with their problems and thought that was what I had.  There's no pain or itching and I didn't want to do anything about them now, but I was curious about what they were.  They are all external hemorrhoids.  So I got rid of three hemorrhoids (2 internal and one external) and am back to having three of them again.  He immediately recommended we not do any surgery on them, at least until my anal stenosis has improved a lot more.  I told him I wouldn't even consider having another hemorrhoidectomy right now -- if ever.  It will take a while for this nightmare to fade away.

But I'm still very happy overall with what I learned today.  Yay!!

Sorry not being here for while. But I am so glad for you! YAY!!!

It is such a big relief you don't need the surgery! and scars become more soft!

What diameter you have now?

I'm not using the dilators any more so I can't answer that question. He said he was able to examine me more fully than ever before though. I also finally found a rectal syringe that someone else on this board recommended. It's great for those times the bm is a little too firm and is much easier than setting up for an enema. Especially when traveling.

Here's another update on my situation. I had another colonoscopy today. He found another polyp, this time a very small one and in the cecum area (the part furthest away from my butt). He says it's nothing to worry about. He also says my anal stenosis is significantly improved. That's a quote from the doctor. I still can't poop right without assistance from Miralax or magnesium supplements, but I am hopeful that will change. It's been quite a while since I had to use an enemas or rectal string in the morning so that is an improvement I can see.

And I want to say again that even with the complications I'm glad I had the surgery. I do wish I had it done by a colon/rectal surgeon instead of a general surgeon, but it has improved my life.

I see the doctor again in a couple of weeks to go over the colonoscopy results, but then I get 6 months off before getting a sigmoidoscopy and another check on my stenosis.

A lot of people want more posts about hemorrhoid surgeries that were problem-free. I think it's also good to have stories that show it was worth it even when it doesn't go perfectly.

dear i m to worried now a days coz me developing anal stenosis now a days and BM is much more difficult ... my dr says u should use anal dilators .i startes using smallest of them but Bm is still not easy ... i m worried and much disturbed life leadig coz of this operation . i think one shoul go for this operation if it noly exist between u and death.