For almost a year now, I've been having these horrible constant stomach pains. For you women who have gone threw this, it's close to labor pains. It started out with pain in my lower back, they tested for for a UTI, that came up negative. Then the pain started to start in my stomach, above my belly button and down my left side. They did many cat scans and it showed I had a hernia above my belly button. The surgeon fixed that, but I still am having pain months later. I went back to the surgeon after having another cat scan, and he said the hernia was looking normal and healing fine. He also said that the hernia would not be causing constant pain and pain on such a serve level. I've lost 25lbs from not being able to eat, because it hurts worse after I eat. I feel nauseas all the time. No one seems to know what the problem is. I don't know what else to do, does anyone have any idea of what this could be?

Hi Kate02

Do you feel like the pain is internal, as in coming from your bowels? Or somewhere else?

Regards, Olwen :-)

Owlen,
I'm not sure. When I lay down, I can feel a bump and when I lightly touch it, it hurts, badly. It's under my belly button, and runs up to it, and the off the my left side. I have another doctor appointment tomorrow, so hopefully I will figure something out by then, but I'm starting to doubt my doctor and I think it's time to go to a different one.

Here's another thing. Most of the pain is coming from my left side, I can feel organs in my body when I lay down, and I'm not sure if I am feeling one or not, but that area is what hurts the most. It's on my left side right under my ribs.

Hi Kate02

Its tempting to abandon your relationship with your doctor, but some conditions take a mighty amount of tests before the cause reveals itself. You may want to discuss a referral to a functional medicine practitioner who specialises in gastrointestinal health (particularly if your bowel motions are upset too). If you're in the USA I think you have naturopathic physicians? In Australia we have naturopaths or doctors who specialise in functional medicine.

Do you feel this might help?

Regards, Olwen :-)

Hi Kate and Olwen,
Kate I have to agree with Olwen here. Don't abandon your doctor right away. Have you consider asking him to refer you to a specialist?
How is your condition now?

Dark Red and Olwen,
I have seen specialist and they all have blown me off. I had an appointment with my doctor today. Aparently, someone had written something on my chart that said I had been tested for Gaul bladder stones, when I haven't been. My doctor told me to lay on the table and put her hand under the right side of my ribs, I was never having pain there before. When she told me to breath in, that's when I felt the pain. I'm having an ultra sound done friday, and if nothing shows up on that, then blood work for Celica.. or something like that, then another test for my Gaul Bladder. So my doctor has now narrowed it down to two things. I always thought you had pain on your right side and in your shoulders with gaul bladder, but my doctor told me that they are now finding cases where there is no pain on the right side at all.

I also told her it hurt worse after eating things like pasta, could that effect it too?

Hi Kate

Thanks for the update, and especially the comment about pasta. This is an important clue for you that your problem may be functional rather than disease-related. If your bowels are inflamed for whatever reason then some foods can really cause them to complain.

From what you described of your doctor's physical examination it sounds like she was palpating your liver and gall bladder area to feel for any differences that could flag it as the source of the problem.

A functional medicine practitioner will do a comprehensive stool digestive analysis to find out what's going wrong with your bowels. Ideally this will be with the involvement of your doctor so that you don't have to start back at square one with a new practitioner; but if you do decide to leave the relationship then a functional medicine practitioner (sometimes they're doctors, sometimes they're naturopaths) would be your best next point of enquiry. But have a forthright talk with your doctor about your concerns before you make a decision.

Does this help?

Regards, Olwen :-)

Yes, it does. I'm going to stay with my doctor. I will find out monday after I get an ultra sound done on friday of my gall bladder. She told me to drink prune juice... not the greatest tasting juice.. along with taking miralax. It seems to be working. My stomach pains have gone from a 10 to 7 now.

Hi Kate

Thanks for the update - looking forward to hearing more when you've seen your doctor Monday.

Regards, Olwen :-)

Hi Kate and Olwen,
Well Kate I hope that results will be good. And it is nice to hear that your pain level is getting lower.

To be honest, I like prune juice. :-)

Dark Red,
When I saw the prune juice I almost threw up. It's thicker than normal juice and just the color of it wasn't pleasing. I mixed it with pepsi, thinking maybe it would taste like Dr. Pepper.. not so much. But it was easier to drink that way.

:-) Well everybody is different, and we like different things. For instance I don't like coconut, and when I smell it it is instant hurricane in my stomach, and you can see me in search for a bathroom. :-)

But good that you found a way to drink it. Was it helpful? Are you satisfied with the result?

Hi Kate,
How are? Any better?
Well I was reading news and I found this one about spinach. I really don't know if you like it, but it has many minerals like potassium, manganese, zinc, magnesium, iron and calcium.
Personally I like spinach but I don't eat it that often.

Cheers