About two years ago I began to itch at times in my rectal area. If I stopped and scraped out the spot that was itching it stopped. But it always came back another time in some other area. It felt like something was there and if I scraped it out with a fingernail it was gone. So I went to see a doctor. I was given stool tests for parasites. Nothing turned up but as time passed and it continued to be a bother I took deworming medication and parasite cleanses. Nothing made it better. In fact as time passed it became progressively more pronounced. It soon began to develope into a burning after bowel movements. Other times the burning started because of watery bowel seepage. For the past year it has been so bad that I have had to wash with soap and water after every bowel movement and in between when there is seepage. Sometimes there is fresh blood on the tissue but no blood on the stools. Sometimes I get pain in my rectal area which feels like spasms but is very painful, other times I get pain in the area of the lower intestine. They are quite rare, though. Sometimes the bowels turn into diahria and are more irritating. The burning is very severe, like acid. I have been to a number of different doctors, at this point. I was given a barium enema, a colonoscopy and will be going to see a gastro-enterologist in October. Last week I was tested for diabetes and found to have type II diabetes. As I began to take large doses of cinnamon and ginger to help lower the sugar level the burning began to subside. It has not left me, though. Last week I thought that it might be the clostridium difficile toxin so took a bowel sample for testing to the lab this morning. I have not had the results as it will take a few days. This morning I went on the internet for helps and found that people who had similar symptoms to mine were found to have H. Pylori. I called my doctor's office and left a message with the receptionist for him to call me if he wants me to come in and talk to him about that. Anyway, he may call back tomorrow. But if it is not that I am wondering if there is something else that could cause these symptoms and why is it so hard for the doctors to diagnose those kind of symptoms.

hello.

well, there is one thing on my mind. Actually, a couple of things, but one is very common. Generally, a most common cause of rectal itching is poor cleaning of the area after a bowel movement. you are not the only one who has issues with it. also, Itching and discomfort may occur if you are using some medicines, especially those medicines that cause diarrhea or constipation, which means antibiotics. so, if you are using it, that might be a reason. do you see a blood in stool after drinking or generally a blood in your stool? if you do, how often? 

what can be done for burning in rectal area, i do not eat highly season food.Quote:

I have exactly that same problem and hoped to be able to come on here and figure it out. Please let me know what the results of your test were. It drives me crazy. I have to shower after every bowel movement, otherwise I am so sore and itchy.
Help!

I got relief: A doctor told me to use Witch Hazel to cleanse the area. After 3 days, the symptoms I had have virtually disappeared. I do not know the medicinal properties of Witch Hazel, but I have to say the doctor's suggestion worked wonders.

I had the same symptoms for years...finally talked to my doctor...he gave me cortisone cream and in passing said, "don't eat peanuts...there is an oil in them that causes anal irritation." I kind of chuckled because I do enjoy a handful of peanuts at least once a day. I used the cream for a couple of days, and quit eating peanuts. I've stopped using the cream because I think dropping peanuts from my diet has done it....almost immediately I am free of my symptoms.

I have the solution for you; I had this problem for most of my life until I moved to Thailand where in almost every bathroom there is a sprayer next to the toilet for cleaning yourself after. Some people call it a portable bidet. If you use this every time and DON'T scrub with soap and water like I did (and only makes it worse!) it will eventually go away like it did for me and other people I know who moved here. Good luck and good health.

I have those symptoms also. A few doctors told me I have Pelvic Floor Syndrome; a Rectal specialist called it Lavetor Ani Syndrome. Whatever you call it - they THINK it is a spasm of the muscles deep inside the pelvic floor.
Witch hazel and cremes sound good, and easy to try. Also not wiping yourself? but using a spray bottle?....um Practice makes perfect ?

the only medication the doctors suggested to me is Amitriptylene 10mg a day to start......(sorry if I didnt spell it correctly). That is considered a very low dose!! After you take it for a week or two, it blocks the pain mechanism, but I have not yet tried this approach.

Face it the doctors DONT have any answers here. One doctor said I have the problem because I eat too much fiber; another said I didnt eat enough.

good luck - and hope we can find the answer to this "pain in the butt."

Ok I have exactly the same problem. I am a gay male that has anal sex every so often with my partner. I hve the same issues. Deep pain in my intestine and I have exactly all the problems listed. If there is any new developments please post em.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I have a very similar issue and have been suffering with it for 4 years. I think you are taking a good step by researching on your own. After seeing several doctors and being prescribed various anti-itching creams (which just irritated the issue), I took matters into my own hands, started researching potential causes, and assertively stated the impact that this issue is having on my life. I referred myself to a colorectal surgeon and I got myself a new. very experienced GI doc at a top hospital. Last week they did an anal skin biopsy (yes, it feels as bad as it sounds...urghh!). They are checking for bacteria or yeast in that area. Also, I went to the GI doc and she sent me for an endoscopy and some blood work. She's also checking for bacteria and Celiac Disease. All of which could cause anal itching in some people...lovely. Some people get irritated by certain food...citric acids, nuts, chocolate, caffeine. You may want to get tested for food allergies, too. Research possibilities and advocate for some tests. Even though the tests totally suck, some short-term discomfort may have a wonderful pay-off. This is a terrible thing to live with. I call it my "curse!" I'm hoping for some answers from all of my tests. I have learned that I have gastritis so far and have been started on prescription Prilosec. I just started that med today and I am praying that maybe the large amounts of acid in my system might be the culprit and that this will be a miracle pill....I really hope so.

Best of luck and I will update this if I get any answers from all my tests about this mysterious issue. I hope you find relief in the near future!

Good luck!

I have had the burning or irritation at the annis since I was a child and that has been many years. When I was a child growing up in the 40s and 50s my Mother used VICKS vapor rub for everything it seemed. It always worked good for chest colds (just rub it on your chest and breath deeply), sore muscles (just rub it on the sore area) stuffy nose (put a tiny bit in each nostril) sooooo you guessed it..........I was about 10 years old, with a sore annis and I thought I could take care of it by myself. I rubbed a bit of Vicks Vapor Rub on my sore annis. :O :-( WELL LET ME TELL YOU........DON'T EVER DO THAT. I was like a cat with its tail on fire as I ran through the house screaming. And when I tried to wash it off..........it didn't.......due to its greasy nature. I have found that a tiny amount of Desitin cream applied to the area works quite well, but I am going to try Vasaline as someone else has advised.

Having the same problem and looking at all the possible sources I have com to this conclusion. In the morning I have a regular bowel movement with no problems, however during the day there are the same issues with frequent semi watery movements with burning, itching sensation. Sometimes blood upon wiping. I believe that what is going on is that the digestive tract is passing along predigested food too quickly to the lower intestine. The normal digestive process takes some time and the end product is a succession of food that has gone through the stomach where it is broken down by strong acids, and onto the small and large intestines where the nutrients are absorbed until it reaches the end point. The pancreatic digestive compounds and bile from the liver are added early on to assist in breaking down the organic compounds but if the stool is passed quickly to the anus the acidic residue is still active an when passing to the sensitive rectal tissues , it burns and causes the issue described above. Sometimes the remedies of taking certain compounds probably neutralizes the effects or lines the digestive tract to the rectum so the acidic fluids are not exposed to the sensitive anal tissues. The fresh blood is from the irritation of the rectum after wiping and usually heals quickly.

Were or are any of you drinking water from a britta filter? I'm wondering if there's something in the filter causing this issue.

I have the same exact issues...and yes, I do use a Brita!

Have noticed that when I take Advil regularly that the hemorrhoids inflame, and when I stop taking Advil the conditions modifies quickly in a couple of days. Has anyone else noticed a relationship between Advil and the condition?