My husband had a problem with anal itching, but he is too embarrassed to ask for help. I was thinking to get him some topical creams, but I don’t know what I can give him, because I don’t know the cause of it. I admit that is very embarrassing problem, but again there are worse things I guess.

Of all the places to get an itch, anus is probably one of the most embarrassing. An itchy bottom usually is a signal that fecal material or body secretions are irritating nerve endings in the anus, but the causes are numerous, and finding a specific reason for it can be elusive. More than likely, hemorrhoids, pinworms, fissures, anal warts or allergic reactions to toilet paper or foods are responsible for his dilemma, also can be caused by a fungal infection, which is particularly common among people with diabetes and can be one of the first signs of the disease. In rare cases, anal itching is a sign of an abscess, polyp or STD.

I myself "had" anal itching for almost 13 years and esp, at every night..how many nights for 13 years!! No exception of at least one night! But now, it's gone!!! I'm telling ya! It's gone!

I don't have to scratch my anus and bleed and have shallow-sleep(being irritated by itching and scratching and being conscious) through the night any longer!

Recently I took a generic version of "Loratadine" tablet(pill) that is actually an active ingredient of "Claritin" allergy relief for 24 hours for hay fever, runny nose(by allergies) and etc. What it does is blocking "histamine" bonding to its receptors. This bonding is a main cause of most allergic reaction(e.g "itching" on your skin with rashes). The cause of "histamine" releasing(allergic cause) is varied; but if this "histamine" reaction in your body can be blocked, itching can't persist. This is what all "anti-histamine" drug exactly and basically do in your body(in your blood) when you take an anti-histamine allergy tablet from such as Claritin, Benadryl, Allegra, Zyrtec etc.

To get to the point, after I took "Loratadine" tablets (genetic version of Claritin and much cheaper, too) for 3 days (the actual reason was for my skin irritation with rash), the agonizing(esp. at night time with no sweet dream) anal itching is gone! And it's been about a week passed now and it's not coming back(should not...)! It's just one week but I had itching every day for 13 years without an exception of a single night; so... surely, based on the fact that I described above about the correlation between histamine and anti-histamine drugs, taking anti-histamine drugs(in my case, taking "Loratadine" 24 hour tablet) cured the disease.

So, do you want to try? Do it! :-) Take one 24 hr tablet every 24 hours for several days. I'd be very happy if I can hear that by any chance, anyone get cured, too b/c of the sharing of my story.

Good luck!

Dude,

It's working! Two days, two pills, no itch. I've itched for years. So far, so good.

I have a prescription for Clarinex for my seasonal allergies, so you think by taking one per day it may stop my burning and itching?

Tell Your husband that he may find relief if he washes his anus every time after he has been to the toilet

i have had anal itching for quite sometime which is due to me using deodorant between my ass cheeks i didnt like smelling sweaty in the summer time lol anyway its basically a yeast infection so i use a cream with an applicator just regular monistat or something..............i insert a little a night before bed and it works

I have it for years, off and on. Ice cubes are my last resort. I take the loratadine without benefit. I think my itch is actually a reaction to coffee. I love my 3-4 cups, but when I drink this much or more, the itching soon follows. If you drink coffee, try cutting it out a few days and see if this helps.

one cause of anal itching is pinworms. They hatch eggs on the anus and can stay viable for up to 20 days on clothing, linen any surface really. you should rule out htis possibility but either checking ur stools, putting clear tape near the area, or checking ur skin with a torch to see them. To stop them spreading you need to hot wash all the sheets and generally clean everything, wash your hands regularly and Im not sure but possibly you can get something from the chemist/gp for it. But thats not the only cause of anal itching just a possibility that I thought i should share - even though normally occurs in children.

Itching and pain be gone! I found a solution to Anal Itch in the Bathroom Bidet Sprayers they use in Thailand. Every doctor will tell you that you need to clean but the key is you need to do it without irritating the skin. Difficult to accomplish when you have an itch that is just begging to be scratched. But cleaning with a water spray does just that and it is easy, convenient and no one need know what you are using it for.

It's interesting to hear that some of you have suffered from this. I have a friend who has had this for some time. It turns out that some of the itching was caused by a tiny bit of leakage of mucus from the rectum, which is common after going to the bathroom. I think it makes sense that both meticulous cleaning and Claritin help with this situation. But if anyone was worried about the cause, that's what it is.

My a-hole is seriously burning and I'm sick of it. When it started it was an itch that I couldn't seem to relieve. I was doing everything wrong but a friend finally recommended desitin. It's worked like a charm up until now. It stopped working and I'm not sure what to do now. Should I go to the dr.? What if I have anal cancer or something. It seems like so many people suffer from this affliction but I've never had this type of problem up until a couple of years ago and it seems weird that it would surface like this all of sudden.

I doubt that you have anal cancer but I think it might be a good idea to see a doctor just to make sure that it's not something more serious. Let me know what you think about that okay?

Don't forget: TAPEWORMS are a very big cause of anal itch. Now a days it seem that people are eating more fish such as salmon. If it is not cook thoroughly, you can get tapeworms which cause itching. This goes for all fish, and meats too. If you go to the CDC web site it tells you all about the problem. They even tell about how people think they have pin worms when infact they have tapeworms that casue itching at night. Antihistamines like what people have mentioned mask the symptoms but do nothing for those parasites!
HEMORROIDS are also a big culprit too. So many people in the population have them and they don't even know that they have internal hemorroids causing this annoyance. A colorectal surgeon would do and internal exam and see if this is the case. It takes a few seconds.
Feel Better!

I hadn't even thought of tape worms but then you reminded me of pin worms too. They could also be a culprit and you'd need medication for that too. Thanks RSDA for reminding me!