Hi, my friend is 36 years old and she has problems with breathing. She has asthma since she was kid too. When she visited her doctor last time he told her to do spirometry and check her lung capacities. When she get her result lung capacities were pretty bad so doctor decided to send her on CT scan and told her that she will have to go on physical therapy to improve her lung capacity. I would like to know why her results were so bad.

Hi, I have asthma since I was kid and I know pretty much about it. It is chronic inflammation of airways in the lungs caused by different agents like pollen, dust, cigarette smoke and so. Inflammation makes airways to squeeze and to be narrowed. In such situation patient who suffers from asthma develop limited lung capacity and his breathing is very difficult. Similar thing is happening with chronic bronchitis and other lung diseases. Also embolism may cause limited lung capacity.