I have acne scars from cystic acne. They are not your usual scars, but much more challenging to deal with. I am hoping that I do not have to live with these scars the rest of my life. If there was a cosmetic surgery that could help me look more like I feel, with less scarred and deformed skin, I would jump at the opportunity. 

What exactly are the options? You can have cosmetic surgery for acne scars, I have heard that, but how about for cystic acne? Is this being too hopeful, thinking that I can have it removed? 

Thanks!

* *

___

Where to start? So many options!

Microdermabrasion removes the outer layer of the skin to reveal new skin underneath. It can remove some acne scars very well.

You can also have the scars taken out surgically, and sometimes stitched up sometimes augmented with a skin graft from another part of your body such as the behind ear area.

Soft tissue fillers are another good option that is not permanent but can make you look lots better.

Then, there is laser resurfacing, which fades your scars over multiple sessions and is a good choice for many people with different types of scars.

Your starting point is make an appointment for consultation. Here you will see which scar type you have and the best corrective choice for you with that scar. Be assured that any type of scar there is a solution for it.

I have been looking into phytoceramides, AKA plant ceramides, recently. These are best known for providing an anti-aging effect that some people even compare to face lift surgery, but I just found out that they work to treat rosacea as well, allegedly in any case. I am going to test this out in practice, but I thought I should also mention that phytoceramides supposedly have an anti-scar effect as well. 

If it really works, would that not be wonderful? You have a pill that has no side effects (unless you have a wheat allergy) and that targets aging and other skin conditions all in one? Sign me up, please! I thought this might be of interest to those with acne scars. A pot generally costs between $20 and $30, making it worth trying. 

I am in the same position as you are. I have done some research and am fairly certain of the steps I will need to take to remove the scars that my cystic acne gave me, some of which are deep and pitted. The first step would be to fill out the tissue using soft tissue fillers. Then the second step would be laser treatment to erase the prominence of the scars. Soft tissue fillers wear off, so you are talking about a repeated treatment plan here, most likely on a twice yearly basis. I am OK with that. As long as it works, I will be more than happy to do whatever it takes to get rid of these scars.

Granted, my acne scars were very mild and not deep into the skin and not raised either, but I had success by using RoC MULTI CORREXION Skin Renewing Serum on my skin. It was recommended to me by a friend who had already used it as well. I think she read about it in a magazine. You also need a gentle cleanser meant for acne prone skin and to exfoliate regularly to help the fading process. Six months on, I am not getting much new acne and my scars have mostly faded. I'm really happy. Maybe someone else will be too, though if you have those raised scars or pits in your skin then it will not help you.

I had cystic acne too. Glycolic acid peels, repeated ones, have helped me get rid of a lot of the worst scarring that I had. Once my dermatologist thought that could no longer be reduced, I had collagen injections to fill in the space where the deepest scars were. This procedure will have to be repeated when it wears off, Dermabrasion was also suggested to me but it sounded too drastic and scary for me to consider it. I am happy with the outcome of the treatments which I did receive.