Hello. I'm 37 year old female and I'm suffering from some breathing difficulties for the first time in my life.
All this started about two weeks ago.
First I felt some difficulties while breathing and I thought this could be caused with some cold or pneumonia in a worst case.
This small pain turns into something much more worse. I got some really strong pains located in my chest wall. Because my symptoms were not disappearing at all I contacted my doctor and he sent me to some pulmologist.
After a few testings he determined that I have some disease called costochondritis. What kind of disease this is?
He gave me some antibiotics but I was wondering could I exercise to speed up this healing process?

Costochondritis is a syndrome of chest wall pain that is due to inflammation of the cartilage and bones in the chest wall.
Depending on the extent of the inflammation, this condition can be quite painful.
Costochondritis is a relatively benign and usually self-limited condition.
The exact pathophysiology of cartilage and capsular involvement is unknown because costochondritis does not warrant surgical intervention or tissue biopsy.
You asked me about exercising. Well, costochondritis pain is usually worsened by activity or exercise.
One of the most common symptoms is that the pain is present when taking a deep breath.
Activity restrictions include relative rest. But there are some other treatments that are including heat and stretching exercises.
If these treatments do not relieve the pain, a cortisone injection might be tried.
Bottom line is-be patient and in about a week or so, you will be healthy as if this condition didn’t happen at all.

I have had costocondritis for about a year off and on. I have tried chiropractic care also shots of cortizone shots. nothing seems to help. The pain is so terrible. I had blood work done upper G.I also had ekg and bloodwork the only results is costocondritis. IF anyone knows of anything that will help please let us who have this terrible pain causing disease what it is. At times costocondritis has stopped me from enjoying my life.

My daughter is 14 years old and has been diagnosed with costocondritis 18 months ago. She has been to the childrens hospital and pain clinic and the ultimate thing seems to be that no one knows why she has it and no one knows any remedy for it, she just has to live with it. They think it is to do with anxiety and we just have to deal with the pain when it comes. It comes on when she does any exercise for more than 10 mins. She is very sporty and is devastated that she cannot do the things she used to. I was hoping it was a growing thing, and she may grow out of it, but on reading some of these comments, I fear she may have it for life??

I am a female who is 44 years old. I have had costrocondritis for 24 years. I have tried everything. For me it is a part of life. I need to rest, eat right, not lifting, low stress, and I take amitriptyline. Heating pads are good. I had physical theraphy, cordisone shoots. I have been followed by the top arthitis clinic in D.C. However, I have the condition for years. For me I have it in the back and front both sides of the rib cage. I wish for all that it was short lived. XD

hi i have had costrocondritis for 7mths now and i feel like with all the meds the doctors have gave me im still no better ive had a stay in hospital from this one of my meds has giving me really bad mouth ulcers that i dont even get a week inbetween them coming n going . im a 33yr old mother with 3 kids n 2 of them are olny 1 n 5 its hard i cant even take them to the park as i cant chase the baby around im sure you understand its very frustrating my husban has been doing his best when his not at work to let me rest but i just feel like im useless .